Help Please - ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS BIOS Fail! Keeps changing CPU Speed

marchitect

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I just received a RMA'd board from ASUS pre-installed with the latest bios 3302.
Also, this new board came with a 'Customer Test Sheet" saying all passed.
No matter what I do to the BIOS after each reboot it sets my CPU's way down to 1.2 GHz instead of the stock 3.1GHz. This happens even if I don't physically change any bios setting but only highlight a bios field.
I have a youtube video that shows it live, exactly what happens every time. And remember, I don't even physically change anything in the bios.
If anyone can help solve this one - wow, you have a friend for life.
Asus support has no answer except to RMA this board - AGAIN for the 3rd time.

Here's my video showing what happens -it's about 4 min.
The video outlines my system configuration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlm-09mLiyY

satyamdubey

Distinguished
okay. strange way that board's acting up. Can you try reflashing your mobo with the 3302 yourself. You've probably just got a bad rma but you can try flashing the mobo with new copy of the BIOS.

marchitect

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I've had the (2) 2687 processors since day 1.
I tried changing out the BIOS chip with my previous board that I still have and need to ship back. I got the same result.
I also tried going to one processor and one 8gb ram stick and got the same results.
I then tried changing the processor in position 1 with the other processor to rule out the processors being the issue. And every time keep getting the same result.
I even removed the fans from the motherboard header in case the fan header was causing a problem.
I thought changing out the processor would solve the problem.
For giggles, I will try re-flashing the BIOS chip with a re-wright of the same 3302 bios. Who knows that might work.

marchitect

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I did a re-flash of the bios <back> to bios version 3206. That did not help either.
It must be the motherboard or something I'm not thinking of.

marchitect

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I got an answer to this problem through another forum.
The solution is:
BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Power Technology - to "Custom"
BIOS > Advanced > CPU Power Management Configuration > Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology - to "Disabled"
BIOS > Ai Tweaker > CPU Ratio - to the correct Multiplier for your processors

satyamdubey

Distinguished
great to learn this.Book mark in order. Q:what happens if in the second option, Speedstep is enabled? Do all of those settings have to be set as a perfect combination for the issue to resolve.

marchitect

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
As far as I can tell, if Speedstep is enabled you will always get the 1.2GHz situation while in BIOS.
However, the guy that help me and figured all this out (on another forum) thinks that if Speedstep is enabled and you see 1.2GHz while in BIOS it might be doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. But he's not 100% sure, he was just hypothesizing.
What I'm not sure of is, with Speedstep enabled, with the CPU 'wake up' and start operating at 3.1GHz once the demand arises.
Anyway, I know how to solve the problem I was having and I'm happy for that.
The Bios on this board is for the VERY advanced tech savy people. It's not a plug and play board by any stretch.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
^must be more than "just BIOS". simpler budget boards like mine in the sig, do not invoke speed step and c1e states while in BIOS. All these power saving technologies engage only when in windows.