Inno3D Announces Its Black Series GeForce GTX Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.

4745454b

Titan
I like the idea. As long as performance, thermals, noise and price is kept in check this should be a great card. I would love to see a 7970 version as well. I wonder what they could do if they were allowed to change things.

[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]This is POINTLESS! The card is so quiet as is and thanks to GPU Boost, it will barely OC... Unless Nvidia made some changes to GPU Boost 2, which is doubtful.[/citation]

Just realized I might be wrong on GPU Boost 2 as it may be, from what I have read, that the cards managing software will allow it to run faster if you keep temps low enough or is this more controlled by power consumption???... Anyone know more???

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]monkeymonk[/nom]it wont be cheaper anything premade is always more expensive[/citation]

Well typically these pre-built things are made for those people who have a ton of money but still don't know anything about hardware.

Erm n/m, I don't have a point because a person who would buy this would already have to be a computer enthusiast and would also need to have a ton of money.

This thing is probably like $1300US. That's the same cost as some peoples i7 rigs. Ri...di...cu...lous...

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
It'll likely be more expensive that a GTX Titan + the cost of the cooler because buying it like this keeps the warranty intact. If you did the cooler swap yourself you would void the warranty on the Titan.

G

These won't be any cheaper than a cool grand for a long time to come so don't get your hopes up.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Hard to think I got this excited about the Voodoo 3 back in the day. And one day in the future, this Titan will probably be out-powered by my car's onboard computer.

Now to start booting up the ENIAC in my basement...

hero1

Distinguished
May 9, 2012
Nice take on it but let's hope they don't charge $300 more for the addition of the cooling unit. Mine is ASUS GTX Titan, replaced my 7970s that stopped working properly in CF, and has the reference cooler. Loving it so far!

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

I believe card will allow a 6% increase in power consumption(over it's rated 250 watts) if kept cool; so 265 watts. With the end result being a nice overclock. When benchmarking the reference design a few weeks ago, Tom's mentioned they got a cold Titan to 1.1 GHz.

However for realistic test results, they kept their lab at 23 degrees celsius. And at that temperature, they reported clock speeds were around 990 Mhz.

Yes yes yes, a GTX680 can get numbers too. But does it gain performance from such an OC?
Because the GTX680 does not, the numbers appear better, but GPU Boost di not allow better ACTUAL performance.

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
"^Why would it be less?"

Quoting doesn't seem to be working, but I think he's saying it should be cheaper since you're buying a video card and two coolers as opposed to the same card with just one.

You could argue that because of the extra work on the user's end, some might want to pay a bit more for the Titan with the Arctic cooler already on it. But I'd guess anyone interested probably enjoy's the process of doing it themselves anyway, so I think it should cost the same as the Titan + Artic Cooler if not minus the cost of the original cooler. but it probably won't

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Dupontrocks11[/nom]I sincerely hope that the card is less expensive than if you bought a GTX Titan and the Arctic Cooler separately....[/citation]

Why would it be cheaper? It saves you more than an hour required for installation/drying of adhesive, you won't void the warranty and you don't pay for separate S&H for the cooler.

[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]This is POINTLESS! The card is so quiet as is and thanks to GPU Boost, it will barely OC... Unless Nvidia made some changes to GPU Boost 2, which is doubtful.[/citation]

This is very subjective. "So quiet" means different things to different people, I've heard some "quiet rigs" from across the room, and that may not be good enough for many people.

[citation][nom]WithoutWeakness[/nom]It'll likely be more expensive that a GTX Titan + the cost of the cooler because buying it like this keeps the warranty intact. If you did the cooler swap yourself you would void the warranty on the Titan.[/citation]

Not necessarily. It depends on the warranty policy of the company that you buy it from and/or that produced it. Some of the graphics card partners for AMD and Nvidia allow after market coolers to not void warranty so long as you don't damage the card through improper cooler installation.

[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]Hard to think I got this excited about the Voodoo 3 back in the day. And one day in the future, this Titan will probably be out-powered by my car's onboard computer.Now to start booting up the ENIAC in my basement...[/citation]

I wouldn't be so sure about that. The very low end graphics markets have slowed performance improvement greatly compared to the high end since Voodoo was around. Titan and even some much slower cards might be faster than any car's on-board computer until we no longer have cars unless we find a reason to need more performance for that job.

For example, most of our lowest end graphics are still using the fairly old Radeon 5000 VLIW5 architecture or Nvidia's Fermi architecture and many even still use the same GPUs from the Ati Radeon 5000 series and Nvidia GTX 400 series. Then we look at a lot of the more mobile SoCs that are around and even weaker, yet these are what we see in more and more use in stuff such as cars. It seems that low power consumption and/or cost is a bigger driving force (with good reason) than higher performance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see stuff such as phones, tablets, and other low-power devices where performance is at least a little more important get like what you said, but even then, chances are that such devices will become more like thin clients for most people well before they reach Titan's performance.

mr_bonkers

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Meh. When will we get fixed clocks back? At least AMD can keep their cards cool without this kind of nonsense. (Unless i'm wrong and they dyna-clock too)

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
this beast is cool in small cases .. like the mini ITX ones ...

other than that, not worth the extra money , well unless they sell it for the same price :O

raxman

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
What's the point of the Titan? I mean it's slower than the 690 for games and single floating point work. The double floating point boost does not work with OpenCL on it. But when you enable the double floating point boost the Titan performs even worse for single floating point and games!

The only use this card has is for applications that rely mostly on double floating point and only work on CUDA.

And in my experience many applications that are using double floating point are just being too lazy to figure out how to get it to work with single floating point.

Single precision isn't good enough for many workloads. That's why double precision is used for some workloads (even quad and perhaps more occasionally), not because the developers are lazy.

Pretty much all modern graphics cards have dynamic clock frequencies of some sort AFAIK. You mean Turbo and that actually wouldn't even be a problem if Nvidia allowed users to have control over voltage settings, the biggest problem with overclocking Nvidia's cards. Better (wider without enough of a frequency ceiling drop for the frequency to negate the width advantage or a superior memory technology such as XDR2) memory buses would also help.

Status
Not open for further replies.