Monitor flashes amber

superal

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
3 year old Acer x213wbd 21.6" LCD flat screen monitor power button flashing amber LED with no picture. Disassembled monitor to see if I could see anything wrong inside. Sure enough a 1000uf and a 470uf electrolytic capacitors(the tin can looking things) were blown. I could tell because the top of the capacitor had a bulge. Went to Radio Shack spent $3.00 for the 2 capacitors, they didn't have the correct voltage of 10v so, I bought the 35v capacitors. It was very simple to unsolder old caps, then solder new ones. Took about 10min. Put everything back together and it works fantastic!! This seems to be a common problem with Acer LCD's looks like they use very cheap components!! Saved myself few hundred dollars even though It took most all of Saturday to "get R dun"!! Good Luck !!! Hope I saved you sometime & Money!! Al

superal

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
3 year old Acer x213wbd 21.6" LCD flat screen monitor power button flashing amber LED with no picture. Disassembled monitor to see if I could see anything wrong inside. Sure enough a 1000uf and a 470uf electrolytic capacitors(the tin can looking things) were blown. I could tell because the top of the capacitor had a bulge. Went to Radio Shack spent $3.00 for the 2 capacitors, they didn't have the correct voltage of 10v so, I bought the 35v capacitors. It was very simple to unsolder old caps, then solder new ones. Took about 10min. Put everything back together and it works fantastic!! This seems to be a common problem with Acer LCD's looks like they use very cheap components!! Saved myself few hundred dollars even though It took most all of Saturday to "get R dun"!! Good Luck !!! Hope I saved you sometime & Money!! Al

Fluidstream

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Congratulations. I have an Acer S271HL monitor, which is a fantastic monitor, but now that my power LED is steadily flashing, I have no picture and my capacitors have probably blown, too. I woke up the other day to find my screen dark. I was able to reboot and get a picture back, but then I turned everything back off and dusted my computer on the inside. Now I have no picture at all ... just a flashing amber light. I'm not experienced with soldering. I'd be afraid of getting too much soldering metal on it and bridging PC paths that shouldn't be bridged, shorting things out, causing fires, etc.... So I'll have to take mine to a repair shop.

But thanks for your post. It helped me figure out what might be wrong with mine!