Periodic Frame Rate Drops in Games

I've been having problems with my frame rate dropping drastically in multiple games. It always drops to around 5 fps during the game. This has been happening for a month or so and it wasnt that bad until i started playing newer released games. Like diablo 3 and starcraft 2, older titles run without problems.

Starcraft 2 - In the single player around every 10 mins the frames drop to 5fps and after 20 seconds or so it goes back to 60+. Even when no units are on screen. I tried lowering the graphics far below the suggested ultra but the problem persists. And in the Multiplayer i will have short freezes (around 1 sec pauses) every 5 seconds. It even crashed multiple times in the past week for a graphics card DXL failure.

Diablo 3 - Pretty much same problem, every 10 mins the frames plummet to low levels and makes it unplayable. Changing the monitor resolution helped and the drops were not as frequent, but i don't want to change it any lower.

Medieval 2 total war - same problem, i only play offline and every half an hour it gets all choppy.

I also noticed Some games like World of Warcraft, Battlefield 2, Battlefield Bad company, Civilization 5, and Bio shock 2 all run perfectly fine without any problems.
My computer has been crashing at least once every 2 weeks for a video card failure. During games and just browsing the internet.
I monitored my cpu/ram usage during the drops and they both never went above the normal usage.

I TRIED:
Defragmenting hard drives
Updated graphics card drivers
ran virus scan, no viruses
ran Dxl diagnostics on graphics card, no problems
I checked firewall just in case if it was blocking a publisher's game, it wasn't
I cleaned out unneeded background processes while i was playing

I was told that graphics cards usually dont last that long and mine has been in constant use for about 5-6 years. Could it be possible that it is going bad? I had multiple computer crashes because of the card failure. I also did recently install a new motherboard, a cpu and windows 8 2 months before the problem started.

SPECS:
Windows 8 64 bit
GeForce 9800 GT
AMD Phenom II X6 1045t Processor 3.2 ghz
8 gb of ram

I don't think it is my Internet either, I can log on World of Warcraft and my latency is fine, and on Diablo 3 my latency was always 60ms during the frame rate drops. I'd appreciate any help on this, its has been frustrating to have to pause and wait every time the fps drops.
7 answers Last reply
More about periodic frame rate drops games
  1. Have you checked what CPU & GPU temps you reach and what the GPU usage is at? I suspect most likely the graphics card is overheating.
  2. simon12 said:
    Have you checked what CPU & GPU temps you reach and what the GPU usage is at? I suspect most likely the graphics card is overheating.

It very well could be that, 80*C idling and 115*C during a game, even going over 120, which is crashing point. I cleaned out dust about 2 months ago, but i still use a default case and my sound card takes up a lot of breathing room near my grahpics card. I'll clean it and test it out.
  3. Downloaded 2 freeware Temp monitors, both said that the temp climbed to 130*C, which is scary, and after i cleaned it out, there was no change. I made sure i got most of the dust out between the card's fan and let it cool. Right now its idling at 80. Im going to assume i would probably need a new case then? I am still using a stock one. I think its weird that it would do it now all of a sudden though.
  4. I thought my old 4870 ran hot hitting 95C at full load over 100C is way to hot. You could get a replacement cooling system for it ie. Arctic cooling accelero twin turbo but the card is dated now even a Radeon 7750 would be a good upgrade but a 7850 or better would let you play games on high-ultra settings.
  5. Everything runs fine now :)

I cleaned out as much dust as i could from the card. Should keep it below 90* while playing games. And I ordered a fan as well which should keep it nicer. And as far as upgrading goes, getting a new graphics card would lead to me needing a new mobo and even a bigger computer case. Mine is to small for the mobo id like. Im going to try to get as much use out of the current gpu as i can, hopefully until it totally dies on me.

Thanks for the help!
  6. Glad you found a solution, wht would you need a new motherboard to upgrade the GPU?
  7. simon12 said:
    Glad you found a solution, wht would you need a new motherboard to upgrade the GPU?

Hey simon , would you mind checking out my post

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1662419/sapphire-6870-usage-drops-spike-battlefield-bad-company.html

I'm basically having the same problem , except that my temps are fine.
Ask a new question

Read More

Framerate Games Starcraft 2 Video Games