Ways to add a 4th Monitor to my setup?

jamiedolan

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Helllo;

I have a Raedon 5770 with 3 monitors on it (2-DVI and 1 Display Port). My system is a i7 860 with 16GB ram. The card I have only supports 3 monitors.

I'm interested in adding a 4th monitor to my system. ( Would be particularly useful when I am monitoring live broadcast /webinar events and need to be able to keep an eye on numerous screens. I suspect I would also find an additional monitor useful for video editing)

I saw some adapters that support a monitor from a USB port. These seem to have mixed reviews and some people have stated they are very processor heavy. I do make good use of my system, but rarely exceed 60% processor use on a regular basis. I don't have any idea how processor heavy one of these devices could be.

The physical cards I've seen that support 4 monitors are generally expensive and need a larger power supply than the one in my system.

Any thoughts on these USB adapters or other solutions?

Thanks very much;

Jamie

P.S. -- I am running Windows 8. I don't care about games, but it would be nice if I could play video on the monitor.

jamiedolan

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Thank You. I didn't realize that was an option. Does the video card need to "pair up" to the existing card so I can extend my desktop to the new monitor or will any video card added to the system work?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've not tried it myself, so I don't know exactly how it will work, but if my understanding is correct, it's just a separate display from your other three. You won't be able to extend your primary display to the fourth monitor.

-Wolf sends