Which Drivers GTX260?

L1Qu1Dmk2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Just curious as to whether it is better to stick with the 200 series drivers or use the 300's? I just have a GTX260 and also not playing any newer games either, just Civ5, Dead Island and occasionally Mafia 2.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Some folks will swear by installing newer drivers as soon as they're released. Others, like myself, will say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you are experiencing a specific issue with your graphics card in a particular game, I'd say don't bother upgrading. However, it wouldn't hurt to check the release notes of each driver update to see if it resolves any possible issues with a game you play.

-Wolf sends

haider95

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
DO NOT! the 300 drivers are nothing but a huge cluster**** of BSOD's and freezes -.- upgrading to the 314 driver destroyed my 9600GSO now i cant even play minecraft

CntrlAltDel

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Depends if you're running a 32 or 64 bit kernel OS.
Based on experience with Nvidia GeForce, the software seems to better support 32 bit with less problems.
Remember that when you update your drivers, you also get the latest update changes which sometimes includes the update to better optimize your GPU to play a certain or multitude of games.

As Wolfshadw indicated. Updates also resolve issues on their side (software/driver).

L1Qu1Dmk2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
I have a GTX260 core216 and W7x64 and get exc3llent frame rates with even Total War: Rome 2 using the newest drivers so maybe your issue haider is because you use an older card?? Should upgrade rlly since you can pick up one of mine for less than £50 GBP. But I would say ctrlaltdel is correct, 32 bit do have less problems. I have crappy frame rates on the older games considering the rest of my system but it doesn't matter much to me, I rarely game now anyway.

Also, its true tht when you upgrade, you lose the ability to play the older games at better frame rates so definitely get the driver for the specific game you're looking to play on.. do play Civ5 as well, some of the mods for the game are pure class. That is with the newest drivers so you don't lose too much by using the newest drivers.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Ive had problems with Drivers here and There. 296.xx hated me and so did 306.xx

314.22 was a very stable driver for me. I personally only use WHQL Driver unless I feel like messing with a beta.

Everything past 320.18 has been fine for me me so I would update to 331.82

I say never update until a Newer Driver has been out in the wild for a week or two (Same for Windows Updates), Or has something you require, SLI/3D Vision Profiles etc. Forums are a good place to watch, But remember only people with problems will fuss on a forum.

In a worse case scenario, you can just go into Device Manger and roll back your driver.

Make sure you uncheck Geforce Experience under Custom Install and 3D vision if you dont use them

Not to mention one of the newer drivers enabled Nvidia Control Panel Based Forced Ambient Occlusion if your into that kinda thing. Kinda HW Taxing though