Can't Acquire IP Address - Constant Disconnects

jjkale

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Been experiencing a lot of random disconnects in the last week - showing up in the events as DCOM, DHCP errors. I've done a lot of cmd resets and configs - and nothing seems to be working. I am not able to do a repair on the LAN. My ISP says everything is ok on their end. I am using XP - SP3, ADSL, cable modem. Any help would be very much appreciated

jjkale

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
This is Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : user-cc39cb854e
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . .
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 17, 2013 10:12:33 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:12:33 AM

PPP adapter

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

I suggest you delete that connection completely in Control Panel>Network Connections, then in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Network Adapters, uninstall the ethernet device. Restart the system to allow Windows to reinstall the device and create a new connection and post back if that didn't fix things.

jjkale

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
This didn't help. I am still at the same place with a yellow exclamation point and random disconnects.

The yellow mark is the key here - it says the device is failing and the only option after trying to update the driver is to replace it. PCI NICs are quite inexpensive and so long as you have a spare PCI slot, it's the best alternative to a failed onboard NIC.

To update the driver when the system can't get online, go back Device Manager, then to the NIC's Properties. Click the Details tab, then scroll to Hardware IDs and note down the four characters after VEN for Vendor and the four which follow DEV for Device. Using your other system, go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and input those details in the relevant boxes and you will see the list of all the right manufacturer's products but sadly, they aren't in order. Use Internet Explorers Edit menu then Find to type in the DEVice ID and the search will find the correct entry. Follow the link to the site for the correct driver and download it then transfer it to the affected machine and install it. If it still fails, supplement it with a PCI card.

jjkale

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I can get on the net, just randomly it disconnects. I found that DEV code but I have no idea how to get it into that search engine - it's too complicated for me. Could it alternately be a faulty modem?