Gtx 660Ti Screen Tearing

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
So, i gave up. It's been like 10 hours straight so far im trying to google out for a solution with no luck unfortunately.

Must ask to you guys, because i really don't know what to do anymore.

I recently bought a new computer, with a GTX 660ti video card. On some of the games i'm tring to play, i experience this annoying screen tearing problem. I'm not even sure if it's a real screen tear problem, dunno how to explain, sometimes while playing i see these kind of lines flashing over the screen (barely noticeable, but still annoying in my eyes).

I tried everythin, vsync, triple buffering, different kind of setting combinations between vsync, triple buffering, forcing it on my control panel, trying the adaptive vsync aswell, changing resolutions ecc, still having the same problem.

Only "Solution" i actually found was to set vsync on my nvidia control panel to "adaptive: half refresh rate". This way tears completely go away, but this way i got my ingame FPS capped to 30, which is kind of bad since i bought a new computer to run games smoothly.

I hope someone of you can help me out, because its been all day im trying to solve this problem, im exhausted. Thanks.

Have you checked the refresh rate setting of your monitor in the control panel? What type of cable are you using to connect to your monitor? Did you do a clean installation of the latest drivers from the Nvidia website?

It sounds like you are not getting 60+ FPS, which is why normal adaptive vsync does not help you. If adaptive vsync: half refresh rate fixes the tearing, the normal v-sync will also, just do not use adaptive v-sync. The difference between the two is that adaptive v-sync turns off when your FPS drops below your refresh rate. There are a couple rare exceptions that v-sync in any form, does not work.

What game are you having difficulties with?

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
@Matto: Yea, i checked it out, its 59Hz. Not sure about the cable, but i never got this problem on my old pc using the same cable. And ofc i tried every single driver aswell, even the beta ones, still got the problem.

@Bystander: Nop, i tried even the normal vsync, i tried every single combination, it doesnt fix it. The only thing that can do it its the adaptive half refresh rate, as i said, but capping my fps to 30, which is kind of bad. The game is The witcher 2.

I would advise going back and trying normal plane vanilla v-sync again. No adaptive version at all. It doesn't make any since that adaptive v-sync: half refresh rate would work, and normal v-sync would not. The only difference between the two is the FPS limiter part. I have a feeling that you failed to set it when you meant to.

And again, what game is this? You may have better results using in game options for v-sync.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Thanks for your time.

I was pretty sure i did things right, but just in case i tried again, nothing changed.

Adaptive vsync half refresh works, normal one doesnt.

I also tried the ingame option for vsync, doesnt work.

Game is the wicther 2 by the way.

This leads me to believe there is some defective hardware. Perhaps you can video the problem. V-sync works on 680's, and should work on a 660ti as well. I've played the Witcher 2 without such an issue. It is possible this is not even a tearing issue, but something else entirely.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
But it works with no problems at all when i play Tomb raider or Rage, which are the games im playing at the moment. i don't think its an hw issue, what would u suggest then? :(

Ah, so it does work in other games, just not "The Witcher 2". Do you have a custom profile in the 3D settings of Nvidia's Control Panel or maybe a setting in the default 3D Settings that is overwriting them? If not, the other possibility is a patch in the Witcher 2 has broken that feature.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I made sure the custom profile doesnt overwrite the global settings, and it doesnt. Everything set on "Use global settings". Might be the aptches then, will try to uninstall it and trying to run it again without installing the patches. I will update you when im done. thanks for ur time, really appreciated it.

Download Nvidia Inspector, find the profile for the game you are using, play with FPS cap until its reduced (Vsync off). It won't get rid of tearing but will massively reduce it if your max FPS is a little lower than the refresh of your monitor.

Tearing is just a part of gaming, only way around it is to use Vsync, which is crappy because it induces lag. Alot of games stop you from forcing things, so don't be too worried that you cant enable Vsync. If you look through Nvidia Inspector you'll notice half the games in the driver don't accept AA forcing.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
It wasn't the patch, same problem even with the base game. Also tried the inspector, i noticed that the fps limiter option helped to fix the problem the more i limited the fps. In other words, the more close to 30 fps i set, the more tears were unnoticeable.
Whatever, im tired of this game, if i cant play, so be it. Thanks guys for ur time!

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I tried to set it up to 60, as soon as i hit the accept button, close the window and i reopen it, it's back to 59.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
It does indeed. Problem is i never got a single tear with my old gtx 460 and the same monitor. Screw those tearz.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hmm, ive watched some of the youtube videos about tearing problems. Thats not the problem i have it seems. So how can i explain it : /

I'll try. It's not like the part of the screen thats actually tearing completely changes color. Its more like some kind of lines that keeps moving 100% of the time up and down, almost like some kind of bug in the colors. Sometimes i dont even notice them, sometimes i do (i think it depends on the color of the backround).

But the problem persists the whole time. Most of the videos ive seen on utube about tearing problems, they are like intermittent and look different.

Tearing does not cause color changes. Tearing is the result of two frames being rendered on the screen at the same time due to a 2nd frame or more, overwriting the display buffer at the same time the monitor is updating it's image. The result is two partial frames slightly offset. If you saw a video showing you different colors, it is likely special software to make it more obvious where the breaks occur.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Missunderstanding there. Just wanted to say that on the videos ive seen on youtube the problem doesnt look like mine at all.

fla34

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
My problem looks more like blurry lines going up and down on the screen..

Edit: I even tried to fraps it, but when i watched the video, i didn't see any problems. It was just ingame.. dunno what to think anymore lol