Processor clocking higher in Safe mode

Alex H

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I've got a (roughly) 3 year old Alienware M11xr1, and the processor (Intel U7300), should run at 1.3 Ghz, and it does, but only in safe mode. But when I run CPUID from a normal boot, the CPU clocks at around 800 Mhz. If anyone has any possible explanation, I'd appreciate the help.

At three years, I'm thinking that your computer is due for a good cleaning (I'm going to venture thermal throttling once all drivers get loaded). To clean it properly, you'll need to take the computer apart since dust bunnies, once formed, cannot be removed with compressed air. It seems Dell/Alienware has foreseen the need for such measures and have created a video on how to found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqQQU_PWRg
If you are not comfortable getting into the innards of your laptop, a local computer shop should be able to perform the cleaning for a minimal fee but I'm thinking a physical cleaning should help greatly here
Running a driver sweeper program may also help but I would look to cleaning first.