Mouse freezes on new P9X79-WS +3930k build

Alex Temple

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hi there,

I recently built a new master rig for music production using the x79 platform. Everything works about 90% of the time, but occasionally I get little "stutters" where the mouse freezes for about 1 or 2 seconds before working again. A few times the system has locked up completely. The mouse freezes are an annoyance, but I am worried that they might be signs of more serious stability issues that might be catastrophic down the line. If anyone has successfully dealt with these types of issues on similar systems or can offer any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. I've done some light overclocking, but I have experienced these issues at stock speeds as well.

I've researched the mouse freezing issue and it looks like many people have problems like this for many different reasons, and so far none of the tweaks that have worked for others have worked.

Specs:

CPU: i7 3930k (C2 stepping)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79-WS
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (8 x 8GB) (http://)
System drive: Samsung 840 120GB
GPU: EVGA GTX 650 Ti (I forget exactly which model)
Audio card: RME HDSPe AIO
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W

The system also has another 5 internal drives and I use both LAN ports, one for our studio network and one for a direct connection to my slave. I've disabled the page file.

When the system works correctly, it does everything I need it to and temperatures seem fine even when I'm using close to 100% of the CPU. I don't think the RAM is faulty as Memtest hasn't shown any errors and I don't see any of the more predictable types of RAM-limit crashes unless I'm using more than 62GB.

Steps I've taken so far:

Checked Event Viewer to see if there were any abnormalities that coincided with these freezes. (There aren't)

Set the RAM timings manually set to Corsair's specified timings.

Set the RAM to 1600Mhz - seems like that generally has the best results with the 3930k.

Tested it with another mouse and tried different USB ports. I've also disabled USB selective suspend and set all power management settings to high performance.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated!

i have experienced it myself 2-3 months ago.

in my case, it was nvidia driver bug. latest driver doesnt mean it is the most stable. clean remove your current driver :) use different version of your driver. it can be the previous version or the newer one (if you use old driver)

Alex Temple

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Thanks, I will try that. I used this video card in my old x58 build for a few months without any problems, but I doubt I was using the same drivers.

Alex Temple

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I think I figured this one out, in case anyone else finds similar problems.

Turns out the third-party USB drivers for the extra USB ports on the Motherboard were out of date. Windows said they were up-to-date, but after a program called Driver Manager alerted me that this wasn't true, I was able to find them online. Just not at the ASUS, which still had the older ones listed as the most recent version. Seems to have fixed the problem. Lesson learned - don't assume your motherboard manufacturer's web site will have updated listings for 3rd party drivers.