Data drive problem after format

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I planned to reformat my win 7 but i have to buy another drive to copy my existing files into the new drive. The problem is after i reformat the boot drive, can i reconnect the data drive and reassign the data drive without losing its data (non-format the data drive)?

You won't lose any data on the data drive if you don't format it and you don't delete any partitions on it.

If that doesn't answer your question satisfactorily, perhaps you could explain your problem more clearly.
I confess I didn't fully understand your explanation, somewhat confusing it seemed to me.

Technoart

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
What i mean is first as i copy my existing file to the new drive, then disconnect it during windows format. Just formatting the boot drive. After that, since the data drive has data, as i connect it, the windows surely will told that hdd is in your pc and ask to reassign drive letter. My problem is after the data drive had reassign itself, the data inside the data drive still existed? No partitions are created. Below are the drive space list:

1. 931GB (Boot drive, OS)
2. 100MB (Win 7 reserves)
3. 1.8TB (Data drive)