965 Black edition Max temps.

chackonman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hi, i just want to solve a question me and some friends have about the AMD 965 Black edition.

I say that the max temp is 62/65 (as mentioned on the AMD website) and i also claimed that at 72 degrees i could smell something a little off so i had to back down on the heavy CPU intensive task i was doing.

But my friend says he had no problem running it for 70 - 80 degrees and it should run fine with no problems so it must have been my thermal paste going bad. And he claims that the Max rated temp is set so low to provide a safe zone to cover their asses because the CPU can handle temps higher.

So what is the truth? can 965 really handle temps higher than that and the AMD site shows lower max temps just to cover their asses?

(all temps in Celsius)

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
i have the amd phenom ll X4 965 normal edition and ive hit average *C 45 which is over 100 degrees F and its just fine. people have been telling me that *C 60 is the max temp for these cpus

gokitty199

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

yea then theres something wrong. max *C for black edition i belive is *C 65 and any more can damage it. take off and clean your heat sync and get all your thermal paste off and reapply it and test it again.

chackonman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Yeah the average temp in my room is a little hot + i got a bad standard heatsink that has something like a 80mm fan or something haha. But yeah just want a good answer with my Original Post.