Set external USB HDD to 'Read-Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cecay

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I have an external HDD with data I need to share at my university. Even though I do have a backup, I don't like to get any viruses or trojans from others computers and I don't want anybody to change the data without me knowing. So what I need is to somehow write protect this drive so it can only be read, but not written on. The problem is that this has to work over several OSes, this drive will go on Windows (everything after XP), Linux and OSX (with Tuxera NTFS drivers) as well as getting connected to a USB network hub. Any idea how to do this of if it is even possible? The drive is formatted with NTFS since it's the only file system that works over several computers and on the hub.

Solution
Just change the security permissions, simples.... Just right click the drive click proprieties then security. just lower the permissions for "Everyone", make sure you add your account on as full access and special access first.

-Chris

jinksy

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Just change the security permissions, simples.... Just right click the drive click proprieties then security. just lower the permissions for "Everyone", make sure you add your account on as full access and special access first.

-Chris

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.