A strange error in my HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikus_kecil

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, 1st i want to say sorry for my broken english, hope you can understand and help me to fix my problem. I have 2 internal HDD and 2 external in my PC, one of them a samsung 2 TB has current pending sector error, i ignore this error since i read in several forums, it said that the problem actually 'only about the re-mapping' so i hope my HDD can fix it by itself :), now the problem that i face is, i have 1 AVI file, this file is run perfectly in other 3 HDD, but if i try to run it in my 2 TB HDD, then my PC become hang... the problem become stranger because if i change the extention file into mp4 (i just rename the file), then the file could run perfectly in my 2TB HD, there are others AVI file in my 2 TB, and all of them is run perfectly, just this 1 file, it only could run when I change the extention into mp4, what happen ? is there any solustin ? should i keep the extention in mp4 ? Thanks a lot

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

The two parts of your post might be related so it's worth running Checkdisk on the 2TB disk to see if that sector can be repaired, just in case it holds the .avi file association information the system needs to run the file properly.

So long as the disk isn't running Windows, go from Start to Run and into the open box type chkdsk X: /r where X is the drive letter assigned to teh 2TB disk. That starts a five stage process which on a disk of that size could take all day but let it run to a finish and try the .avi again.

tikus_kecil

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hi Saga Lout, thank you for your answer, but i still feel very starnge with my HDD, because I try to copy another AVI fiel, and the file is work perfectly, so the problem only happen to one file only, and this one file is work perfectly in another HDD, i tried the chkdsk, and it's took forever in step 4, so i decide to cancel it... :(

So I suppose it's possible the problem .avi is sitting in the bad sector. Sadly, Stage 4 is the crucial file checking stage - you can skip Stage 5 but if you want to try healing the disk, number 4 is your only chance. You cold defragment the drive in the hope the file moves off the affected sector but in my experience, such files are treated as unmovable.

tikus_kecil

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.