Sign in with
Your question

Issue with new build computer shuts down while playing skyrim.

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2013 3:05:03 AM

I recently built a budget gaming machine to play Skyrim and some MMOs I was on a pretty tight budget so I shouldn't be surprised this happened.. but at any rate when I play Skyrim the computer literally just shuts off after a certain amount of time. No rhyme or reason at all nothing indicates it is going to happen it just shuts off. I actively watched the temperatures and everything seems absolutely stable nothing goes above 55degrees celcius. I did NOT skimp on the cooling system. This doesn't seem to occur on any of my MMOs however they are MUCH less intensive than Skyrim.

(all celcius).
Mobo 28 to 30 degrees
Videocard 55 degrees
CPU 55 to 57 degrees

here are my components

Power Supply = KINGWIN ABT-650MM 650W
CPU = AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz 6 core
Mobo = ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS
Video = SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770
RAM = G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866
HDD = SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST250DM001 / HD253GJ 250GB
OS = Windows 7 64bit

I have a feeling I shouldn't have skimped on the power supply, but I wanted to get some opinions from people smarter than me before I go to get another. Thank you so much for your time.

The only thing I got from the event log is - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Unless I am looking at the wrong thing.. which is possible.

Also I get this Microsoft-Windows-Setup" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D I don't know if thats related
March 17, 2013 4:54:57 AM

Thought it might also be important to note that I can not turn the computer back on for several minutes after this happens
March 17, 2013 5:37:23 PM

is the cpu getting too hot at 57 and shutting off?

Also to add to it the computer will not come back on unless its unplugged for a while
Related resources
March 17, 2013 6:02:25 PM

Greg Martin said:

my gpu runs at 57 degrees Celsius and i don't think that's to hot to shut down pc, Cheap power supplies are poorly produced, the quality of the components such as capacitors, chokes and resistors can cause alot of things to perform poorly. look at it as the heart of your build. not preaching just saying, it could possibly be that your rig isnt getting the constant voltage it needs to perform in a game that is intense as skyrim. In my own experience cheaper PSU's dont actually produce the wattage they are rated for, they are mostly lower. AMD is power hungry and needs the wattage. also the quality has a lot
to do with the voltage to the main rail, cpu, gpu and so forth. none of the temps seem to be too high. I think it may be your CPU not getting enough watts and shutting down. thats just my opinion. hope you get it fixed soon. i still play skyrim.
also if you haven't, goto library in steam right click on skyrim/ click on properties/ goto betas and opt into the beta. it has a HUGE list of bug major/minor fixes and runs with all mods and will not screw up your current game. also while in properties verify the integrity of your game files. good luck sorry for the long message. hope this helps. add me as well and let me know if you get it fixed
March 17, 2013 6:13:22 PM

Greg Martin said:

Also to add to it the computer will not come back on unless its unplugged for a while

also another note to add corsair Cx600 watt is 69.99/50 bucks after rebateon newwegg, corsair 650 tx is 79/69 after rebate. Corsair has always been good with my builds, i used a 600 watt gaming series with a gtx470 and e440 dual core and never had a hiccup now i have a thermaltake and i dont like it as much. but still a good psu. again good luck!
March 17, 2013 10:53:33 PM

hey thanks a lot Brandon. Yeah I'm pretty much thinking it can't be the CPU over heating. It did it earlier at around 55 degrees. It is VERY inconsistent it can happen while the game is going through a high load or while i'm just standing around. It seems the higher my load the quicker it takes but even if I play games that are not that intense it EVENTUALLY does it. Does that still sound like the PSU? A friend of mine told me it could be the motherboard or the ram too because my motherboard is supposedly a pretty old version (those were the last things I needed to hear). (did the beta update and etc on Skyrim but its doing it on other games too)

a friend of mine offered to let me try his PSU but its only 480 watts and its a logisys do you think it would be worth trying with that? Thanks for the help bud I REALLY appreciate it and from the little intervals I've had to play skyrim I am LOVING it.
March 17, 2013 11:04:08 PM

That system should only need 350-400 watt power supply at max load.

That error is generally a unreadable boot configuration issue. btw.

Try this,

At cmd prompt, type:

diskpart

lis vol

( Look to see the drive letter for your main windows partition - if it is D then type as below, otherwise replace D with the letter diskpart gives for the main windows partition)

sel vol d

act

exi

bcdboot d:\windows /s d:

bootsect /nt60 all /mbr

restart the pc -

See if it helps
March 17, 2013 11:57:42 PM

Update it is doing it at 50 degrees now and on other games as well but gaming definitely seems to make it shut down

I tried what you said Lee and everything seemed to work up until "bootsect /nt60 all /mbr" it said 'bootsect' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
March 18, 2013 12:17:27 AM

After I did what you said Lee and restarted it did exactly the same thing this time only after everything was 47 degrees or less. I guess I can rule out heat then?

whatever it is it is getting worse.. you say I only need 350 to 400 watts? could it be that I have too much? could the power supply just be bad and shut off after a certain time? I just find it odd that it wont turn on till I unplug it for a while. I have built machines before but this is very frustrating I have heard everything from bad ram to broken power supply at this point D= I am leaning to power supply or motherboard but that is pretty unfounded because I am VERY much an amateur.

I really appreciate both of your help so far, nice to know there are people out there willing to lend a helping hand still.
March 18, 2013 12:26:59 AM

Going to need one of the hardware guys to help you with the rest of this, I am a software guy.

It sounds to me though something is over heating or shorting out. Could be Ram/Psu/MB or any combination of those. I am not quite sure how to lock it down myself sorry.

Something is probaaly show up in your even viewer but I am not quite certain where to check in it for this.

-
March 18, 2013 12:35:56 AM

Thanks anyway Lee. My motherboard only gets up to 30ish degrees at full load I am not sure what is considered hot for a mobo though. Maybe GPU I saw it get up to 58 once =/

I'll try that other PSU tomorrow, it doesn't have a PCIe connector but my videocard came with an adapter to make it hook up to a periphriel (sp?)

Also I have like 6 fans on here some of them are double connected to one periphriel (spelling again!) could that overload the PSU?
March 18, 2013 12:37:53 AM

Greg Martin said:
Thanks anyway Lee. My motherboard only gets up to 30ish degrees at full load I am not sure what is considered hot for a mobo though. Maybe GPU I saw it get up to 58 once =/

I'll try that other PSU tomorrow, it doesn't have a PCIe connector but my videocard came with an adapter to make it hook up to a periphriel (sp?)

All your temps are "ok" only one even a little high is your cpu but I have seen much higher under load "70's" which leads me to believe it may be hardware failure.

-

March 18, 2013 2:49:39 AM

For whatever it helps I was messing around with OCCT and let my CPU go on full load for 30 minutes. its max temp was 59 degrees I found out my TJ. max is 80 degrees. I did the same thing with my video card and everything stayed stable. I did full load with both and my computer froze, if this helps anyone.
March 19, 2013 10:30:02 AM

I am pleased to announce that it was my PSU. thank you two for helping and brandon you were absolutely right. I went and took an old BFG 550 watt PSU out of an old machine and it works perfectly (i haven't heard that brand in a while)

Let it be known that kingswen is junk.
March 21, 2013 4:17:45 PM

Greg Martin said:
I am pleased to announce that it was my PSU. thank you two for helping and brandon you were absolutely right. I went and took an old BFG 550 watt PSU out of an old machine and it works perfectly (i haven't heard that brand in a while)

Let it be known that kingswen is junk.

no problems man, good luck and glad your systems back up to speed!
!