Closed

Pioneer Rolls Out Portable Blu-ray Drive

Tags:
  • Optical Media
  • Storage
  • Blu-ray
Last response: in News comments
March 17, 2013 6:23:04 AM

I herd really bad things about bluray on PC. People say your better off just buying a stand alone player because most bluray software isn't good. I bought a samsung external bluraydrive awile ago open boxed havn't used it yet to tell how the software is thou.
Score
March 17, 2013 8:27:10 AM

Blu-ray worked great on my HP. Incredible sound and quality.
That was until I upgraded to Windows 8 without realizing I would have to purchase a Windows-8 compatible version of the Blu-ray player software that originally came free with the computer. I guess when the upgrade price is only $40 you get what you pay for...

I'm curious to know how noisy this thing is, being external. My external HDD make a lot of noise when it spins. Definitely interferes with the puny sound systems of a laptop.
Score
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 17, 2013 12:58:41 PM

guvnaguyBlu-ray worked great on my HP. Incredible sound and quality. That was until I upgraded to Windows 8 without realizing I would have to purchase a Windows-8 compatible version of the Blu-ray player software that originally came free with the computer. I guess when the upgrade price is only $40 you get what you pay for...I'm curious to know how noisy this thing is, being external. My external HDD make a lot of noise when it spins. Definitely interferes with the puny sound systems of a laptop.

http://www.videolan.org/
There you go. You're welcome.
Score
a b G Storage
March 17, 2013 3:31:10 PM

Should have been USB 3.0, at 6x blu-ray its already maxing out the 2.0 in most real world situations.
Score
March 17, 2013 3:52:44 PM

I bought something similar from the same company four years ago. How is this news?
Score
March 17, 2013 3:54:13 PM

dyno_05I herd really bad things about bluray on PC. People say your better off just buying a stand alone player because most bluray software isn't good. I bought a samsung external bluraydrive awile ago open boxed havn't used it yet to tell how the software is thou.

Oh, they must have used Cyberlink crap.
Score
March 18, 2013 3:14:11 AM

Soda-88http://www.videolan.org/There you go. You're welcome.

Bluray on VLC is still in its experimental stage, and out of the box does´t work with encrypted burays.
Score
a b G Storage
March 18, 2013 1:16:27 PM

JonnyDough said:
dyno_05I herd really bad things about bluray on PC. People say your better off just buying a stand alone player because most bluray software isn't good. I bought a samsung external bluraydrive awile ago open boxed havn't used it yet to tell how the software is thou.

Oh, they must have used Cyberlink crap.

I use Total Media Theater and it sucks just as bad as Cyberlink. I tried playing a blu ray movie on my HTPC and the thing froze after the first frame. Add that to the $100 cost per license for playback software and you don't have a real cost effective solution for HD movie playback. I usually wind up watching the iTunes files.
Score
March 18, 2013 4:04:23 PM

abbadon_34Should have been USB 3.0, at 6x blu-ray its already maxing out the 2.0 in most real world situations.

Exactly. That was my first thought as well. This makes absolutely zero sense. Very disappointing, and for me with a 3.0 capable 1080p laptop, a definite deal breaker. I have two Pioneer BD-RWs and they work phenomenal in a primary and backup gaming rig.
Score
March 19, 2013 7:07:00 PM

Yeah if it can read Blurays at faster than 6x then USB2 is for sure a bottleneck. What is the max bluray read speed?
Score
!