Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia Graphics Card Fan Whirrs Loudly on Startup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2013 5:34:56 AM

I have had my current PC for about 2 years and for the past few months my Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS 512MB graphics card's fan has started whirring / buzzing loudly on start up. After the computer has booted up, it sounds normal with no buzzing. The card doesn't seem to get particularly hot (33 degrees C at the moment).
Is this anything to worry about or is the card on its way out?
March 17, 2013 6:07:50 AM

That's because the fan of the GPU spins 100% until it starts adjusting the fan speed to the thermals. Nothing to worry about, it's normal.
March 17, 2013 6:42:49 AM

CntrlAltDel said:
That's because the fan of the GPU spins 100% until it starts adjusting the fan speed to the thermals. Nothing to worry about, it's normal.

It never used to make the noise at all for the first 2 years of its life - surely that can't be normal?
Related resources
March 17, 2013 6:48:30 AM

Mike Harrison said:
CntrlAltDel said:

It never used to make the noise at all for the first 2 years of its life - surely that can't be normal?

Oh, you've owned it for 2 years... May be dust related or your fan is probably dying out.
March 20, 2013 6:15:42 AM

CntrlAltDel said:
Mike Harrison said:
CntrlAltDel said:

Oh, you've owned it for 2 years... May be dust related or your fan is probably dying out.

How do I check if the fan is dying? And does this mean I need a new graphics card, cos I'm pretty clueless when it comes to choosing components.
March 20, 2013 6:22:25 AM

Mike Harrison said:
CntrlAltDel said:
Mike Harrison said:
CntrlAltDel said:

How do I check if the fan is dying? And does this mean I need a new graphics card, cos I'm pretty clueless when it comes to choosing components.

If the fan is dying out you can just replace the fan instead of getting a whole new gpu.
!