Nvidia Graphics Card Fan Whirrs Loudly on Startup

I have had my current PC for about 2 years and for the past few months my Nvidea GeForce 8400 GS 512MB graphics card's fan has started whirring / buzzing loudly on start up. After the computer has booted up, it sounds normal with no buzzing. The card doesn't seem to get particularly hot (33 degrees C at the moment).
Is this anything to worry about or is the card on its way out?
6 answers Last reply
More about nvidia graphics card fan whirrs loudly startup
  1. That's because the fan of the GPU spins 100% until it starts adjusting the fan speed to the thermals. Nothing to worry about, it's normal.
  2. CntrlAltDel said:
    That's because the fan of the GPU spins 100% until it starts adjusting the fan speed to the thermals. Nothing to worry about, it's normal.

It never used to make the noise at all for the first 2 years of its life - surely that can't be normal?
  3. Mike Harrison said:
    CntrlAltDel said:
    That's because the fan of the GPU spins 100% until it starts adjusting the fan speed to the thermals. Nothing to worry about, it's normal.

It never used to make the noise at all for the first 2 years of its life - surely that can't be normal?

Oh, you've owned it for 2 years... May be dust related or your fan is probably dying out.
  4. CntrlAltDel said:
    Mike Harrison said:
    CntrlAltDel said:

Oh, you've owned it for 2 years... May be dust related or your fan is probably dying out.

How do I check if the fan is dying? And does this mean I need a new graphics card, cos I'm pretty clueless when it comes to choosing components.
  5. Mike Harrison said:
    CntrlAltDel said:
    Mike Harrison said:
    CntrlAltDel said:

How do I check if the fan is dying? And does this mean I need a new graphics card, cos I'm pretty clueless when it comes to choosing components.

If the fan is dying out you can just replace the fan instead of getting a whole new gpu.
Ask a new question

Read More

Fan Graphics Cards Nvidia Graphics