I think i screwed up a RAM stick by manually putting improper timings. Is there any hope to repair the RAM now?

PwnageEngage

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
Hi,

I have 2 Muskin 4g RAM. Their timings are supposed to be 9 9 9 24, and while trying to test some things overclocking i accidentally changed it to 9 9 9 28 >_>

Since then my computer will crash under load, and running Windows Memory Diagnostic shows hardware problems. I don't have a blank CD to run memtest86 or else i would've. Still, programs like Windows and even CPUID CPU-Z detect 8 gigs of RAM. I assume thats still a good sign?

Anyway, assuming i messed up the RAM due to bad timings, is there anyway I can at the very least stabilize my bad RAM with higher voltages, different timings or by overclock/underclocking? Basically i'd like to at the very least get a stable 2g's from my 4g stick so that i'd have 6 total. I don't even know if thats how RAM works, but if so i'd like to give it a shot.

I have:

Fx 6300
Asrock 970 Extreme3
XFX HD 7870
Roswell 650w PSU
Aftermarket cooler + fan.

Basically any ideas that might actually work to salvage my RAM would be appreciated.

Ideally nothing that would further damage my computer though..

BadPeteNo

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
First, try resetting CMOS. Also, memtest86 is on most linux live CDs which can be booted from a thumbdrive using a program like unetbootin