overheating cores but ok cpu temps?

corum

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I need help! I have checked bios and software that came with my motherboard they both say my cpu is 35c, have checked OCCT and it says my cpu is the same however it says my cores are all 85-90c which is the same result on core temp and speed fan. i have just removed and reseated my heatsink and fan and reapplied thermal paste and still the same, heatsink and fan are all working fine and they are not stock, have just increased fan rpm to max and no change. cpu is a amd athlon II x4 635, could this cpu be broken? games all run and no rebooting however my fps in some games are alot lower then what i should be getting with my hardware. please help

corum

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
so should I get a new cpu? I just tried to check each core to see if one is faulty. with core 1 running temps are fine but as soon as I turn on another one it goes back to 85

corum

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I have just turned off the safety features in OCCT and run a load test, its cycling my cpu speed between normal and very low to keep the heat down. think this is a bum cpu

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Bad processors are rare, but possible. Was this one you bought new or 2nd hand? If your temps are fine until you enable more than 1 core. it does indeed sound like a bad CPU. Are the voltages and other settings at default? If you are not sure, go to BIOS and load the default values and boot to Safe Mode (F8). Turn off any 3rd party pgms that you may have. See if the issue is still there.