Lenovo Y500 Gaming Laptop (~899) 650m x2 SLI

agonisforever

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
From the last month or so on this site, and others, looking at specs, and requirements for games. i have come (almost) to an end.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312438

TLDR;
-Lenovo y500 series
- dual 650m (SLI)
- 6gb RAM (never seen this 1x4gb and 1x2gb before, thinking ill upgrade withen a few month of owning)
-i5 3230m (2.6Ghz)
-1tb 5400rpm hdd (I may or may not replace with sdd somewhere downthe line when cheaper, if able to)

Anyone own one? or have some insight to help me make my decision?

Popcorns

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Unless you're moving a lot, you probably don't want to go with a laptop, but if you want to it's you'e choice not mine.

- The dual 650m, can run like TF2, Dota 2, and some newer games at medium high settings,

- You're laptop looks fine too me, but will need to buy a cooling pad, to keep the laptop from overheating at maybe damaging parts.

And just saying if you plan on replacing parts on a laptop, you're out of luck there will be like little to no upgrade slots to put in a SSD, the maker of the laptop wants you to use it as it is, and leave it.

My personal thought of laptops because I own one!

- Please don't get a laptop there a waste of time and money, you can never really upgrade them and once one part fails it seems to all fall apart from there! I owned a laptop for 3 years and played games on it, and it ran pretty good. But now I'm upgrading to a desktop because laptops get outdated fast and will not be able to run new games even if it says gaming on it. My sisters getting like the same laptop but to play Sims 3 on it. Laptops are for the Web, not for gaming sorry man. Please oh please buy a gaming desktop! You could get 4x the power if you buy a desktop, and ordering laptops online isn't too good also.

agonisforever

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Alright. Well I decided on getting a laptop because i will be gaming just as much (if not more) at my friends' houses. I'd rather carry around a laptop and take care of just that, then make trips back and forth to my car with a moniter, tower, cables, keyboard, mouse etc.etc.

I'd be playing a variety of games on here, anything i can get my hands on pretty much. from Free-to-Play runescape, to Skyrim modded out.

As far as your quoted specs running those games, take a loot at

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html ** THIS IS NOT SLI (SINGLE 650m)
the 10 latest games will play smoothly on a single 650m on high settings (sim city excluded)

As far as the dual 650m specs go... http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M-SLI.84953.0.html
It seems like the 650sli performs better than the 670 in some cases, and handles the newest games very well on high-ultra
If anyone has any recent history with this laptop, or recent history with a better laptop (same price range).

olin9

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
The Y500 is on sale for $869 on the Lenovo site with one GPU and a DVD burner. You can get a 2nd GPU for SLI for $137.

I7
8 GB ram
1 TB w/ 16GB ssd
GT650M 2 GB
DVD

The one you listed above will not have a DVD burner.

The Y500 has an ultrabay, you can insert a 2nd GPU, Hard drive, DVD or a Cooling fan.

I just got my Y500 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It is fast, boots up in 6 seconds with the 16 GB ssd. I think you can replace the 16GB SSD with a bigger one.

I played MW online on max settings with one GPU and got about 30 FPS. Since it is in beta the SLI options are off.

2033 played smoth on max settings.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=5B0116E237099FA0FCA012D9B20ED2FB&action=init

zvmanning

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
And processors fall so far behind intel. High end graphics cards work better with intel. I'm buying a y500 today. Good choice but the best deal is ff newegg 8gb i7 2.4ghz 1tb 5400rpm dual graphics for 1000$. Lenovo a site costs 1146$ with tax :)

The laptop is one of the best gaming laptops that I've seen in quite a while. I'm not sure how durable it is, but the specs are hard to beat at this price point. Now all games don't do well with SLI, but that seems to be changing slowly. I like that this laptop has lots of flexibility with regards to options that you can take. If you want, you can take out the 2nd GPU and install an SSD or other options. If you don't want to remove the SSD you can just use the laptop as it is configured and probably not have any issues. It's up to you, but if my budget was <$1k than this would be hard to pass up, assuming your looking for a gaming laptop.