Speed issues in WLAN

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hi.
I have a wireless conncetion setup in my house,shared by multiple computers.A few days ago,I noticed by coincidence that the two pc's far from the modem/router were suffering internet speed loss.I was surprised because it was happening even though the signal meter was showing full signal.

I researched a bit,but decided to ask before taking action.
Is there a way to fix this speed loss?

I thought of getting a range extender at first,since even though the signal-meter is full,the speed does rise if I move a pc closer to the modem.However I read that range extenders could cause loss in response times,and an employee at a local store told me it wouldn't do any good and I had to use a cable if I wanted to use the internet at full speed.

Is it really the only way out? Could additional devices or a different modem fix this?

Thanks.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
What you have found is what many people do not understand. The signal strength has little to do with the signal quality. Some apps do show this but the default windows driver tend to not.

The best example I can give is if you have 2 radios playing at max volume on different stations. You can hear both very loud but you cannot really listen to either.

It is likely you have some form of interference, either from something in your house like a cordless phone or baby monitor or from a neighbors router. You could try INSSIDER software and see how many people are on the same channels as you. It will not detect things like baby monitors and such though. You need to try to change the channels to something less used. This is getting harder and harder nowdays. You could if your router and nic support it use the 5g band. Many times this less crowded and signals from outside the house do not penetrate as much but they also do not penetrate inside walls as much either so hard to say if it will be better than 2.4g channels

anroin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the answer.
I guess the channel is changed through the modem settings? Do I need to change anything on the PCs of the network?