Ethernet over Powerline Question

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I am familiar with the theory of ethernet over powerline, but haven't used it myself and don't have any direct experience with it. I have heard that in order for eop to work, the two connected devices need to be on the same electrical circuit, i.e. on wiring that is connected to a single, common, circuit breaker. If this is true, it makes me wonder why it won't work across two or more circuit breakers. It seems to me that the network signal could simply travel through the circuit breaker and on through other circuit breakers in the breaker panel. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this?

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
It does work across breakers it just works BETTER on the same circuit. It partially depends on the country. In countries that use 220 volt all breakers are connected in the panel so it should be pretty easy to go from circuit to circuit. In the US and other countries that use 110 every other breaker is on on the same feed. 2 adjacent breakers are on different feeds so they have to all the way out to the transformer on the street. This can be quite a distance and sometimes it will still not pass though the transformer.

Pretty much the more cable you must pass the more signal loss you get. Also the more cable you have the more likely it is that something else will interfere with the data. Anything that has a small motor tends damage the signal.

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013

Very interesting insight John. Thanks.