new boot drive able to access old storage drives?

wriggle

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I will be getting a new ssd and installing win7 on it. Prior to switching the ssd I have 3 hdds that I will be also upgrading. I want to transfer the data on the old hdds to new hdds and have the data readable when i switch to a new boot drive. Are there any things I need to consider or would i just install win7 on the new ssd and readily read the data on my hdds?

I assume that it would prompt me for a password, but I'm not sure. I also don't want to use the profile transfer on windows if I don't have to.

This question may have been asked before but I haven't seen this exact concern addressed. If there are any guides or threads that have a direct answer just link me, thanks!

A fresh clean install of Microsoft Windows 7, software applications, and utilities to a new solid state drive is the preferred method. Depending on the capacity of the drive you could also install some of your favorite games.

Once the ssd is installed, loaded with Windows 7, and operating satisfactorily there should be no problems accessing data folders and files on the old hard disk drives. It would be different and more complicated if you had software applications installed on the hard drives.

Based on your post it sounds as if your old hard disk drives contain only saved data folders and files. If that is correct, then transferring data from the old hard drives to new hard drives is easy and quite painless. Make sure the new hard drives are formatted and then just use the Windows drag and drop feature to transfer data folders and files from the old drives to the new ones.

You mentioned a possible password but I am not sure what you might be referring to. Did you mean the Microsoft validation after installing Windows 7? You'll be prompted to do that at the end of the installation process. It's pretty much an automatic process.

The sticky at the very top of this forum section contains links to quite a few useful articles. Here is the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/270102-32-useful-articles-part

wriggle

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

I was just concerned that the data would only be accessible to my unique windows profile (log in password, etc. Which I have, but just wasn't sure if it'd be an issue).

So the order would be to put the new drives into the old system, format them, copy the data, remove them, remove ssd, install new ssd, install windows, reinstall new hdds, and all should work just fine? (provided I install drivers and such which I should have under control).

And there will be programs on the hdds, but I should be able to reinstall everything so long as I have the installer executables correct?