question about overclocking i5 3570k

trouthat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I have an asrock extreme 6 with an i5 3570k and hyper 212 evo push/pull, i was able to get it overclocked to 4.5 @ +.06 vcore and run prime 95 for 8 hours and the only problem i would have was league of legends crashing randomly during games. Does that mean that the overclock was not stable enough? Now im trying for 4.6 and so far i got prime 95 to run actually at 1.2 volts ( i didnt pay attention to what it was at 4.5 when i ran prime 95 so im not sure) and the max temps range from 64-70. Is that variation ok or did i put the cooler on bad? and what is the max voltage i should get to before temps become a serious issue?

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Haha that's what I was thinking. If your crashing during games your NOT stable. And at the voltage your at I'm suprized you passed prime95. But all BS aside, you need to run Intel Burn In Test. That will tell you if your stable and give you your real MAX temps. Run 75 passes of IBT on Very High and you'll know if your stable or not.

Typically to be completely stable I need 1.325 volts at 4.6Ghz so that's a start. And what I do for a quick test to see if I'm stable is I run IBT and while I'm doing that I play a fairly demanding game. If your game crashes or you BSOD your not stable. Play the game for about 20 minutes. You'll be getting very low FPS, just deal with it so you can test your CPU.

Your temps seem good, I don't think anythings wrong with your cooler, but run IBT on very high and come back here and tell me if you stable and what you temps are.

ericjohn004

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
Oh yeah, I typically hit a wall at 4.6Ghz with 1.325 Vcore. I need a whopping 1.37 volts to be stable at 4.7Ghz so I recently reduced my OC because of temps. Typically you don't want to go above 85-90c during IBT. I feel "safe" as long as I'm 90c or lowing during IBT. Because that means during Prime95 I'll only be at about 75c cause Prime95 doesn't stress your system enough. And that means that during normal use I'll stay around 60c during reletively stressful circumstances.

I hope this helps you out a bit.

trouthat

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
so i ran the intel burn test
zcrErRy
and if i can figure out how to post a picture i will, but the max vcore voltage was 1.28 and the max temps ranged from 78-87 degrees. League still crashed at the profile screen and others complained about it as well so im not really worried about that. is it normal to have a ~9 degree variance in temperatures? Thats why i was wondering if i put the cpu cooler on bad or something.
edit: