GTX 670 SLI Vs GTX 680 SLI Vs GTX 690 Vs Titan

Hey guys,
I have a hard time to choose my next setup !
I had a gigabyte GTX 670 OC and I sold it because somebody gave me a good price for it !

Now I am wondering what is my next setup ?

Money isnt a problem but I don't want to spend more than 1100$

I saw a couple of benchmark but I CANT decide !

my Rig

Zalman Z11 Plus HF1
XFX 850w Gold Full modular
P8Z77-V LK
i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz
G.Skill 2x4 GB 1600 Mhz (8GB)
1 Asus P238QR LED IPS 1080P

Game I play:
Battlefield 3
FarCry 3
Crysis 3
Tomb Raider
Racing Simulator (iracing, project Car...)
I like all games lol

my 2 questions are

what is the best Card/setup for 1 Monitor setup 1920x1080 Gaming?

what is the best card/setup for 3 monitor setup 5760 x 1080 Gaming?

for both scenario I want to max out all game... maybe not crysis 3 lol
17 answers Last reply
More about gtx 670 sli gtx 680 sli gtx 690 titan
  1. The best FPS will come from the 680 SLI option.
    The best value will come from the 670 SLI option.
    The least problems will come from the Titan option.

    Here is an interesting read about Titan:
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire.html
  2. At 5760, you'll need to upgrade too fast to satisfy this resolution.
  3. ilysaml said:
    At 5760, you'll need to upgrade too fast to satisfy this resolution.


    what do you mean ??
  4. bystander said:
    The best FPS will come from the 680 SLI option.
    The best value will come from the 670 SLI option.
    The least problems will come from the Titan option.

    Here is an interesting read about Titan:
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire.html

    I am also looking to upgrade from my 580, so the 690 isn't really the best option at all then? Buying two 680's is about $170 more then the single 690, is the fps gain significant over a single 690? Is there a simple to read chart on this somewhere that I am missing?

    Thanks for any and all help.
  5. SubSt8 said:
    bystander said:
    The best FPS will come from the 680 SLI option.
    The best value will come from the 670 SLI option.
    The least problems will come from the Titan option.

    Here is an interesting read about Titan:
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire.html

    I am also looking to upgrade from my 580, so the 690 isn't really the best option at all then? Buying two 680's is about $170 more then the single 690, is the fps gain significant over a single 690? Is there a simple to read chart on this somewhere that I am missing?

    Thanks for any and all help.


    The 690 is a little in the middle of all the options. It is not as high of performance as 680 SLI, but costs about the same. However, it does offer lower noise of the SLI options. A 690 is an SLI setup, even if it is on one card.
  6. bystander said:
    SubSt8 said:
    bystander said:
    The best FPS will come from the 680 SLI option.
    The best value will come from the 670 SLI option.
    The least problems will come from the Titan option.

    Here is an interesting read about Titan:
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/60166-nvidia-gtx-titan-vs-sli-crossfire.html

    I am also looking to upgrade from my 580, so the 690 isn't really the best option at all then? Buying two 680's is about $170 more then the single 690, is the fps gain significant over a single 690? Is there a simple to read chart on this somewhere that I am missing?

    Thanks for any and all help.


    The 690 is a little in the middle of all the options. It is not as high of performance as 680 SLI, but costs about the same. However, it does offer lower noise of the SLI options. A 690 is an SLI setup, even if it is on one card.


    Mostly I am curious what kind of difference is there between 690 and 680 sli. If I am only gaining slightly then I don't think it is worth the $170, more heat, and louder. But if I am seeing a significant gain then I can deal.

    The games I am playing range from any current FPS, WoW, D3, and Skyrim with tons of mods. I also have a 3d screen so I am looking to do 3d in my single player games.

    If I go from what this video says its only a matter of 2-5 fps gain:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q9SsqQv8JrI#t=129s
  7. At stock, the 670 SLI is almost as fast as the 690, and can OC a lot better.

    A 690 is not better in the heat department. One of the reasons it is quiet is that they are allowed to get hotter and blow air into the case. That also means they do not OC well. However, that is a fairly significant difference in price. I was not aware the 690 came down in price, or maybe it is due to your location.

    If you don't OC, and the price of the 690 puts it closer to the 670's. The 690 may be a good choice. It will be quieter, but it also will be hotter.

    EDIT: Are you comparing 680 4Gb models to the 690? You may not be aware, but a 690 is equivalent to 2GB 680's.
  8. These were the cards I was looking at:
    680:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130801
    690:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121636

    Even with finding the cheapest versions of the 680 it is still only about $50-$60 cheaper then the 690.

    SLI 680's of those I listed is about $200 more then the single 690. Will the difference be significant enough to justify the extra money, sound, and heat?

    Edit: I don't really feel comfortable overclocking, I am a computer science major, I've been working on computers my whole life with my dad as a hobby. I could manage it I am sure, it just isn't something I have done, plus I am not 100% that I have enough air flow to compensate for the heat increase that may come.
  9. That throws another wrinkle into the equation. You are not only comparing their stock value, which slightly favors the 680's, but you are gaining 2Gb per GPU advantages, compared to a less expensive 690 that is quieter.

    The extra 2GB per GPU is starting to look like a good choice with more games starting to push the boundaries, but unless you use high levels of AA, you are probably good with 2GB per GPU or a 690.

    If you compare two 680 2GB in SLI, which is more closely related to a 690, then it becomes a matter of the 690 is quieter, the 680's are cooler, slightly cheaper and slightly faster.

    The quiet nature of the 690 isn't necessarily something to ignore though. That can be a nice feature.

    I can't make the choice for you, but that is what you are choosing between.
  10. bystander said:
    That throws another wrinkle into the equation. You are not only comparing their stock value, which slightly favors the 680's, but you are gaining 2Gb per GPU advantages, compared to a less expensive 690 that is quieter.

    The extra 2GB per GPU is starting to look like a good choice with more games starting to push the boundaries, but unless you use high levels of AA, you are probably good with 2GB per GPU or a 690.

    If you compare two 680 2GB in SLI, which is more closely related to a 690, then it becomes a matter of the 690 is quieter, the 680's are cooler, slightly cheaper and slightly faster.

    The quiet nature of the 690 isn't necessarily something to ignore though. That can be a nice feature.

    I can't make the choice for you, but that is what you are choosing between.

    Well from my understanding AA is the smoothness right? Like at a lower setting you see the jagged edges on stuff, where as higher it is smoother.

    Wouldn't everyone prefer higher AA settings then? I think I might lean with the SLI 680's with the 4gb memory then, if that will allow me to have a higher AA setting. Are there even any games that make use of the 4gb memory the 690 offers or will the SLI 680's extra memory just be overkill?
  11. Ok just to consolidate everything I am asking, and I guess I will just make my own thread also.

    Here are the setups I am looking at:
    2x670
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130785
    $1,058.78

    2x680
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130801
    $1,392.45

    1x690
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121636
    $1,129.98

    My questions are:
    What will the frame differences be for 1920x1080?
    Will the 680's extra memory just be overkill? For how long?
  12. SubSt8 said:
    bystander said:
    That throws another wrinkle into the equation. You are not only comparing their stock value, which slightly favors the 680's, but you are gaining 2Gb per GPU advantages, compared to a less expensive 690 that is quieter.

    The extra 2GB per GPU is starting to look like a good choice with more games starting to push the boundaries, but unless you use high levels of AA, you are probably good with 2GB per GPU or a 690.

    If you compare two 680 2GB in SLI, which is more closely related to a 690, then it becomes a matter of the 690 is quieter, the 680's are cooler, slightly cheaper and slightly faster.

    The quiet nature of the 690 isn't necessarily something to ignore though. That can be a nice feature.

    I can't make the choice for you, but that is what you are choosing between.

    Well from my understanding AA is the smoothness right? Like at a lower setting you see the jagged edges on stuff, where as higher it is smoother.

    Wouldn't everyone prefer higher AA settings then? I think I might lean with the SLI 680's with the 4gb memory then, if that will allow me to have a higher AA setting. Are there even any games that make use of the 4gb memory the 690 offers or will the SLI 680's extra memory just be overkill?


    No, not everyone would want higher levels of AA. I certainly would not, and frankly I doubt anyone would if they weighed everything in.

    For starters, even side by side, it is hard to distinguish the difference between 4x MSAA and higher levels of MSAA. It also drops your FPS significantly to go higher than 4x MSAA. I'd rather have higher FPS than higher AA, especially given how little difference there is.
  13. jay337 said:
    ilysaml said:
    At 5760, you'll need to upgrade too fast to satisfy this resolution.


    what do you mean ??


    This resolution is so demanding especially when AA is enabled, it requires a massive graphics power, you'll need to swap out your cards every year to enjoy a smooth gameplay at such a resolution. Games such as the UPCOMING RE 6, Metro Last Light, Splinter Cell and other demanding titles will bring those top end cards to their knees at this resolution.

    So my point is don't bother playing at 5760 x 1080 unless you have too much to spend on cards.
  14. I stay will if you have a 680 or ati crossfire of same level stay put
    I just cant see paying 1000+ when not as good fps in gaming which is key.
    I cant see getting 2 power and heat alone worry even my 1200 wall setup
    Maybe the rest of line is cheaper and get 2 of them and if I were looking I go this way but if prices are nuts then I get 2 top line 680s sli
  15. I stay will if you have a 680 SLI or ATI crossfire of same level stay put.
    I just cant see paying 1000+ when not as good fps in gaming which is key to gaming line a great line for MP.
    I cant see getting 2 for 2000+
    Maybe the rest of line is cheaper and get 2 of them and if I were looking I wait and see
    if prices are nuts then I get 2 top line 680s sli or crossfire of same level
  16. Ok .
    If your from Australia like I am.
    Then www.pccasegear.com is the place for you
    You get 2 680's 4GB and hook them up in Sli you get the same amount as 2 690's for only half the price (1200 about that )
    If your going multimonitor then go for this or the Titan which is about 1100-1200 dollars at the moment
    But if you want a dual GPU card that's a cracker then I'm gonna say from what I've heard and that's go for the gtx690.
  17. ilysaml said:
    jay337 said:
    ilysaml said:
    At 5760, you'll need to upgrade too fast to satisfy this resolution.


    what do you mean ??


    This resolution is so demanding especially when AA is enabled, it requires a massive graphics power, you'll need to swap out your cards every year to enjoy a smooth gameplay at such a resolution. Games such as the UPCOMING RE 6, Metro Last Light, Splinter Cell and other demanding titles will bring those top end cards to their knees at this resolution.

    So my point is don't bother playing at 5760 x 1080 unless you have too much to spend on cards.

    As you smartly quoted here
    Don't bother playing at 5760 x 1080 unless you have too much money to spend on cards .
    If you got a spare 5k get 4 Titans in sli lol and bam ! Killer 5760 x 1080 Monitor setup :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Titan SLI Gigabyte Graphics