How to Overclock My fx 4100 AMD

kadams161

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Hey, I want to overclock my AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz, and am a little confused on how exactly. I want to do it in AMD Overdrive, as it seems the safest and easiest way to do it! Does anyone know what my voltage should be and any other settings or checks i need to do for a 4.4-4.6 OC? i have the coolermaster 212 plus heatsink (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065)
thanks for whoever helps!

swilczak

Distinguished
AMD overdrive with the FX series CPU's is very simple to use. You don't need to change anything in the BiOS, just enable CPU overdrive then run it. It will test different frequency on your CPU and let you know which ones are stable, which takes a couple of hours. You can then select the frequency you want to run using the sliding bar. AMD's software will report what frequency you are running, but windows will not so don't let it fool you, whatever the AMD software says is right. I did this the other day with the fx 6100 on a cheap motherboard then ran benchmarks tests to make sure it was in fact being overclocked and it worked great.

kadams161

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Yea thats what i was going to use but was told that on my msi 970a motherboard it will nit overclock good at all!

swilczak

Distinguished
I don't know who told you that. I have the most low end AM3+ motherboard, it was like $50 2 years ago and it won't overclock in the BIOS, but the AMD software overclocks it just fine. I also have an AMD 970 chipset like yours and it overclocks very easily in the BIOS and with the AMD software. I go into the BIOS under intelligent tweaker and then just change the front side bus multiplier, but if I go too high it becomes unstable and freezes. I can go up to 4.2 ghz before it is unstable, from it's default setting of 3.5ghz.

kadams161

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013

Thanks for the help!! what settings do you think i should set my settings at in amd overdrive?

swilczak

Distinguished
You will just have to try different speeds and pick which one works the best with the most stability and without too much heat. Probably somewhere between 4.2 and 4.5ghz