Internet won't Work on Windows 98SE

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Hello,

I am working on an old system that was put together to run Windows XP (Pentium 3 700 MHz, 1 GB 168-pin SDRAM, ASUS CUBX-E motherboard, 40 GB IDE HDD, Vodoo 3Dfx PCI card), but had 98 installed to run old DOS games. I am trying to get it on the Internet, but am not having any luck. It has a Linksys Ether-fast LNE100TX v. 5.2 10/100 PCI NIC. I installed it correctly with the drivers (from a CD-ROM i burned, no USB for Win. 98) and it's showing as working properly in device manager, but I can't connect to the Internet.

Any ideas as to what's going on? I'm a former IT tech and know my way around OS's, SOFTWARE AND HARDWARE. I tried removing it from the system and reinstalling it, reinstalling the drivers, removing it from the hardware list, but no luck.

If I can't get it to work, no big deal, but it would be nice if it did.

Thanks!

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

If I remember correctly you have to setup up the internet through the network settings. The page will give you choices for dial up and the like but you want LAN.

Basically your telling 98 to use LAN instead of dial up or etc.

Hope this helps, my memory is a little fuzzy on it.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Yeah I think it's the same process to set up dial up as it is with ethernet you just need to select LAN instead of dial up.