Should I put a SSD into my Dell XPS 20?

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hello

I have a dell XPS 420 with a q6600 and my hdd is a WD Black 500gig 32cache hdd.

I use the computer for gaming and some photoshop and 2d and 3d design.

Is it worth putting a SSD card into it?

I am building a new pc, later. I plan on using the SSD in the Dell and after I am ready to build a new pc, use the SSD in the new pc.

I am running windows 8 on my Dell.

Is it worth doing or should I just wait to use a SSD for the new system?

In part, it depends on the size of the SSD you purchase and whether or not you are satisfied with the way the computer is currently running. I have noticed that boot time is faster and that programs such as Photoshop do load faster. For performance the SSD is just one part of the equation. RAM also is crucial to how well Photoshop, games, and 2d and 3d design programs perform. Of course the CPU and graphics card are important as well. Personally, if I were satisfied with the performance I would save the SSD for the new build since you will have to reformat it and install the OS as well as the drivers for the new computer. This will save the hassle of having to remove the drive from the XPS and installing another, if you plan to keep using it in addition to the new build, and then reinstalling as OS, etc.

g335

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008

Hello
I have 4 gigs of 667 MHz ddr2 ram. I am using a GTS 8600. I plan on putting a little better video card in it.

I am looking to buy the Samsung 840 120gig SSD. The load times are ok with the system, but haven't pushed it yet. Just put the HDD in here a couple of weeks ago. Windows 8 makes boot up times a lot faster than with Vista.

I am trying to make this last until I can build my new system.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The felt performance impact from a SSD is enormous. A SSD should boost your machine enough to make it last longer than you think. Just install OS and Apps on the SSD.
The mentioned Samsung 840 is a good choice!

TRENDING THREADS