Upgrading opinions required

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hello all! I am beyond confused as to what my next upgrade should be. My goal is to be able to play Crysis 3 maxed at 1080p pretty well. I absolutely love the multiplayer in Crysis 3 and I want to enjoy it as much as possible. As well as other games. I just bought a new graphics card and I'm still not 100% happy with the performance, even though it was a nice performance boost. I'll list my computer's specifications below and I want you guys to tell me what I should upgrade that is reasonably priced and I won't have to change too much.

My specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Phenom II 6X 1100T 3.30Ghz Black Edition Processor.
8GB DDR3 RAM (Corsair Vengance)
XFX Radeon HD 7950 Double D edition 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0
Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA Hard Drive
ASUS m4a79xtd evo Motherboard
Ultra 550 watt PSU

I have as of right now about $300 to spend. I can always save up. I want to know what can I upgrade that will allow me to play Crysis 3 maxed. I already plan on getting a better PSU because I hear mine is a heap of junk. I also plan to get more RAM later down the road. These upgrades won't really affect my FPS in game by much at all, if any. I was thinking either buy another 7950 and run the 2 in crossfire. OR I could buy a new CPU. I was thinking the AMD XF 8350 8-core processor. But if I buy that processor I believe I would need to buy a new motherboard as well. Correct me if I'm wrong please! Or maybe I should just buy a real nice heat sink and over clock the crap out of my current CPU? I really don't know what my best option is, please help! Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
a $200 PSU!? There must be a cheaper option! Also, that motherboard is for Intel chips, I have an AMD. But why do you say keep dreaming? I'm pretty close to running Crysis 3 maxed in 1080p now, I just don't have AA or anything like that enabled. Everything else is very high. So I'm almost there I just need something to give me that extra boost.

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012

Oh sorry, I posted the wrong one...
MSI Socket AM3/AMD 890FX/DDR3/SATA3&USB3.0/A&GbE/ATX Motherboard $185 (Amazon)

And as for the PSU, that is basically the smallest one I recommend you getting for running two GPUs. You could get a lower quality, but this one is already medium quality.

If you don't want to get all that stuff, you could replace your GPU with a...
Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 $450 (Newegg)
It should be enough to push you up about 5FPS.

But really, that's pretty much all you're going to get on Crysis 3...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-6.html

Chicken-Select

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Well that's depressing to hear ): I suppose I'll just go with the overclocking rout and stick with it untill something new and exciting comes out. Thanks for the help everything!