Help with finding a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbsoluteBobby

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2013
I am looking to sell my old acer laptop from a few years ago. I need a new laptop for college. I need to be able to run several virtual machines at once, but I also want to be able to game.

1. What is your budget?
~$800- $900 Maybe more depending on how much I can sell my current laptop for

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" - 15.6" Larger ones just don't become portable to me.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
At least 1600 x 900. Ideally 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop replacement I guess. Portability is nice, but I know that needs to be sacrificed for gaming laptop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
4+ hours. I really never use my laptop without it being charged unless I'm at school. Which is about 3-4 hours at a time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I would love to play games such as WoW, SWTOR, Starcraft 2, and hopefully the new Elder Scrolls Online when it is released. Medium to high settings preferred.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mainly virtual machines for my server classes. Other than that just basic photoshop work, minor youtube video editing.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

More than 500gb. That's what mine is now, and I am over half filled (without installing a bunch of games). 750GB + ideal. 7200 RPM

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Ive been looking at mainly newegg or tiger direct. Amazon is a maybe, I am just unsure of warranty / returns there. Bestbuy as well, but I'm sure newegg has better deals.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd say through college at least, so 3+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
I don't need one. I have no problem buying an externnal DVD writer.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I am open. Brands I am used to and have been looking at are Lenovo, Asus, MSI, Acer.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I would love to have a backlit keyboard . Any and all help is appreciated.

chinatefeiba

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Hello,

Microsoft Office Professional 2010 is an essential tool for college students, because it has a full feature of Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher, etc.

Do you also care about the operating system? Do you want Windows 7 or 8? If you prefer Windows 7, then the most efficient system is Windows 7 Ultimate.

If you prefer to buy a lower-cost and minimal-used laptop, then you can check Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B005KP74JK/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&seller=A1N5JM9QQ3JFSS

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

This is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.