water dripped onto bottom of laptop

dlaflower

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I spilled a little bit of water that dripped off my nightstand and onto on the bottom my toshiba laptop..i unplugged as soon as i noticed I bout 3 min, took the battery out dried it off..just a few drops..took it apart somewhat and there really wasnt much water in there either. But i cant turn the laptop on at all...should i let it sit for a few days before i try to power it up? it didnt get into the keyboard. No warranty..was a gift from someone who bought a new one..I will be heartbroken if it doesn't work I can't afford one for my kids schoolwork

Let it dry for a for at least 2 days. If you are in a humid area, using a hair dryer on it a few times for a few minutes each time will help. If you are in a colder area keeping it open near heating duct will help too. Conversely, you could go high tech and put it in a cardboard box along with a few packs of dessicant.
You may need to reset the laptop afterward, you can do that by (with battery removed and laptop unplugged) pressing and holding in the power button for 30 seconds. But try to start it without doing the reset first (after ensuring it is completely dry)
Hope it helps, good luck

dlaflower

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

dlaflower

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Ok..thanks for the quick response. I actually have some of those dessicant packs in some of my boxes of shoes :lol: I contacted a computer repair company and they said to let it sit out for two days also, but if that doesn't work, something in there may have been damaged.

Thanks a bunch, will let you know how things go.

dlaflower

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Well unfortunately it did not work. I took it to the large electronics retailer (BB) and they said the mother board is blown. I really am quite shocked since there wasn't hardly if any water inside at all. But I guess this is the nature of the beast. It can be fixed for a couple hundred dollars, I weighing my options because I can't afford a new one.
Thanks for the advice though.

Very sorry to hear the news there but I might suggest you try a small computer repair shop if there is one nearby, they tend to be just a bit more adept at diagnosing issues than the folks at BB - it may be something easily repairable by a small shop, worth a shot I think (provided they don't charge too much to run diagnostics)