upgrade i5-750 to i5-3570k ?

h9dlb

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hi

I have a i5-750 which i run with a gtx 660ti gfx card and 8 gb ram. My rig is primarily for gaming. Is it worth upgrading to an i5-3570k? I realise I would need a new mobo.

Would I see a large performance increase? or would I be better off waiting for Haswell? However I expect when Haswell comes out the chips will be very expensive and unaffordable for the first 12 months.

Well, this site just posted an article this morning about the performance of Haswell compared to SB and IB, and from what I can see there it is a solid improvement.

I would suggest waiting, because if you go the IB route, and purchase a new MB and a new CPU, if you ever upgrade to Haswell in the future you are toast, because Haswell switches to a new socket... So you would have to upgrade both again.

Also, Intel doesn't generally have too many supply chain problems when they launch a new chip, availability should be within a week or 2 of launch. And as far as price goes, it should launch at close to, if not the same as IB is currently.

The i5-750 is a great processor and the 1156 architecture is really good.

If your motherboard is SLI-compatible, you'll see a better performance increase with games by spending your cash on another gtx660ti for 2-way SLI. If your motherboard is not SLI-compatible, you're still not going to see much difference in games upgrading the to a Z77 architecture and 3570K, though many other things will work a lot more quickly.

With architecture generations so close, you're better off with a GPU upgrade. It will give you the best bang for your buck. On the other hand, if your motherboard is not SLI-ready, it's a perfect excuse to upgrade to something that is. In that case, I'd go for the 3570K and an a good Asus, Gigabyte, or EVGA motherboard for sure.

The Inte® Core™ i5-3570K is an outstanding processor that may be about 30% faster at the same clock speed as the Intel Core i5-750. The problem with this is that improvement doesnt directly translate into in game performance. So upgrading the processor on a gaming system you check to make sure if you will see the best performance boost from it.