What is trim? Extra SSD install steps.

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I recently installed a corsair force gs 360gb ssd for my operating system, I read a thread here on how to install it and it was very helpful. I read on another site about some tweaks and I am wondering if I need them or is it overkill and not necessary they are as folllows:
Enable trim in command prompt; fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
Disable system restore to help save space
Disable indexing
Disable disc defragmentation
Diable Hibernation so there is no delay when going back to pc
Disable services for Windows search and superfetch
Disable Clearpagefileatshutdown and largesystemcache

Are these thing correct or is this something that would screw up my machine, as far as I understood it all I had to do was inable ACHI in my bios and then install my copy of windows which is what I have done. I am a noob to the ssd would and don't understand but a couple things that were mentioned above any help would be awesome.

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

I disabled the disc defrag and the trim is active but what about the rest of the stuff anyone have a walk threw and can explain to me if it's necessary to do so on the other things listed? And what is with the virtual memory I am totally green to this ssd stuff

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

ok if you don't mind I am going to ask a few questions here I have already installed my os and things like anti vius, video drivers ect, if I start playing around with this stuff will it mess up my system. also I thought I had trim verified that it was working because when I go to device manager and under IDI/ATA/ATAPI it says standard ACHI 1.0 in use so does that mean all is well, there was another thread here that mentioned nothing about doing all this extra stuff so will I be ok?

Becasue you have the 360GB one, you have more space but at overtime some of the files will fill up your SSD, like the Hibernation, system restore, superfetch.

You are better to do it now than do it later, and when you do this tweak it will not mess up my system.

ahci is use means your SSD is in the ahci mode.

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
so no need to go into the command prompt and make sure trim is set I am using an amd gigabyte ud3 fxa with the most current bios and have an amd 8350 as well. I also have 3 other hard drives. 1 for music 1 for pics and vids and the last for games so the only thing that will be installed on the ssd is the os and a couple of audio and video editing programs. If I still have to go into the command prompt and make sure trim is set I don't understand what the link is saying on how to do this, could you give this to me step by step? the other things I get. I never use command prompt, I have never needed to.

How to "Disable Prefetch and Superfetch in Windows 7" http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tp5m8Ije_VM

How to "Changing the Page File/Virtual Memory Settings in Windows" http://www.musicarta.co.uk/virtual_memory.html

How to Check if TRIM is Running in Windows. http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled/

After you watch those youtubes you will become a master too. Don't worry. For example turn off Hibernation, follow the link-how to check if TRIM, after you type "cmd" and select "Run as administrator", in the next window, in the end of line C:\Windows\system32> tpye " powercfg -h off " then press "Enter".

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Cool I have done all that, th superfetch etc etc... the only thing I am A bit confused about is the virtual memory, I don't want to totally disable it in case of a blue screen or the video said something about some type of fragmentation, I have 16 gigs of memory in my machine if I choose the size of the virtual memory what would you recommend? Would 1 or 2 gigs of virtual memory speed up my system if that is what I choose and would that be enough for a blue screen report (not that I have gotten any but you never know) how much speed does the virtual memory produce if it is slight I may just leave that guy alone.

dj_crossbones

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

I want to thank you for all the valuable information, it has been a huge help and my system boots up and runs like a dream, I thank you so much for your time to me it's the most important thing we have, major kudos to you sir!!! Thanks again.