What is trim? Extra SSD install steps.

I recently installed a corsair force gs 360gb ssd for my operating system, I read a thread here on how to install it and it was very helpful. I read on another site about some tweaks and I am wondering if I need them or is it overkill and not necessary they are as folllows:
Enable trim in command prompt; fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0
Disable system restore to help save space
Disable indexing
Disable disc defragmentation
Diable Hibernation so there is no delay when going back to pc
Disable services for Windows search and superfetch
Disable Clearpagefileatshutdown and largesystemcache

Are these thing correct or is this something that would screw up my machine, as far as I understood it all I had to do was inable ACHI in my bios and then install my copy of windows which is what I have done. I am a noob to the ssd would and don't understand but a couple things that were mentioned above any help would be awesome.
10 answers Last reply
More about trim extra ssd install steps
  1. Yes, you need those but the trim is auto enable by win7, you just double check it. You may need change the virtual memory too.
  2. cin19 said:
    Yes, you need those but the trim is auto enable by win7, you just double check it. You may need change the virtual memory too.


    I disabled the disc defrag and the trim is active but what about the rest of the stuff anyone have a walk threw and can explain to me if it's necessary to do so on the other things listed? And what is with the virtual memory I am totally green to this ssd stuff
  3. cin19 said:

    ok if you don't mind I am going to ask a few questions here I have already installed my os and things like anti vius, video drivers ect, if I start playing around with this stuff will it mess up my system. also I thought I had trim verified that it was working because when I go to device manager and under IDI/ATA/ATAPI it says standard ACHI 1.0 in use so does that mean all is well, there was another thread here that mentioned nothing about doing all this extra stuff so will I be ok?
  4. Becasue you have the 360GB one, you have more space but at overtime some of the files will fill up your SSD, like the Hibernation, system restore, superfetch.

    You are better to do it now than do it later, and when you do this tweak it will not mess up my system.

    ahci is use means your SSD is in the ahci mode.
  5. cin19 said:
    Becasue you have the 360GB one, you have more space but at overtime some of the files will fill up your SSD, like the Hibernation, system restore, superfetch.

    You are better to do it now than do it later, and when you do this tweak it will not mess up my system.

    ahci is use means your SSD is in the ahci mode.
    so no need to go into the command prompt and make sure trim is set I am using an amd gigabyte ud3 fxa with the most current bios and have an amd 8350 as well. I also have 3 other hard drives. 1 for music 1 for pics and vids and the last for games so the only thing that will be installed on the ssd is the os and a couple of audio and video editing programs. If I still have to go into the command prompt and make sure trim is set I don't understand what the link is saying on how to do this, could you give this to me step by step? the other things I get. I never use command prompt, I have never needed to.
  6. How to "Disable Prefetch and Superfetch in Windows 7" http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tp5m8Ije_VM

    How to "Changing the Page File/Virtual Memory Settings in Windows" http://www.musicarta.co.uk/virtual_memory.html

    How to Check if TRIM is Running in Windows. http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled/

    After you watch those youtubes you will become a master too. Don't worry. For example turn off Hibernation, follow the link-how to check if TRIM, after you type "cmd" and select "Run as administrator", in the next window, in the end of line C:\Windows\system32> tpye " powercfg -h off " then press "Enter".
  7. cin19 said:
    How to "Disable Prefetch and Superfetch in Windows 7" http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tp5m8Ije_VM

    How to "Changing the Page File/Virtual Memory Settings in Windows" http://www.musicarta.co.uk/virtual_memory.html

    How to Check if TRIM is Running in Windows. http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled/

    After you watch those youtubes you will become a master too. Don't worry. For example turn off Hibernation, follow the link-how to check if TRIM, after you type "cmd" and select "Run as administrator", in the next window, in the end of line C:\Windows\system32> tpye " powercfg -h off " then press "Enter".

    Cool I have done all that, th superfetch etc etc... the only thing I am A bit confused about is the virtual memory, I don't want to totally disable it in case of a blue screen or the video said something about some type of fragmentation, I have 16 gigs of memory in my machine if I choose the size of the virtual memory what would you recommend? Would 1 or 2 gigs of virtual memory speed up my system if that is what I choose and would that be enough for a blue screen report (not that I have gotten any but you never know) how much speed does the virtual memory produce if it is slight I may just leave that guy alone.
  8. For the PC with SSD, changing the size of virtual memory is free up more space. Because you have big SSD, so either you can set the custom size to "4GB" or setting "system managed size".
  9. cin19 said:
    For the PC with SSD, changing the size of virtual memory is free up more space. Because you have big SSD, so either you can set the custom size to "4GB" or setting "system managed size".

    I want to thank you for all the valuable information, it has been a huge help and my system boots up and runs like a dream, I thank you so much for your time to me it's the most important thing we have, major kudos to you sir!!! Thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Corsair Force Storage