AMD A8-5600K High Idle Temp w/ Stock Heatsink

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hello,

I just built an HTPC system using an AMD A8-5600k. I have not installed an operating system but the BIOS is stating a temperature of 57. I've let it sit for a bit and that's the highest it'll go. I'm using the stock heatsink and no overclocking has been performed.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H.

The room I was testing is was a little on the warm side with the sun beating in. The case was also open though but the case does not have any fans.

Just would like to know if I should be concerned. I'm figuring that I should be.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

But considering it's not under any kind of load you don't see it as being high?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Seems a little on the high side. If the case doesn't have any fans it could be a lack of air circulation. Basically the heat sink is sucking in hot air, especially if there are no vents directly above the CPU. Try adding a small case fan to see if that brings it down. Also make sure the heatsink is mounted right, incorrect installation can cause high temps.

The temp is still fine. It's pointless to speculate. Run P95 and see what happens.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. My case can hold up to 4 80 mm fans. I'll try throwing in two to see if that brings it down and taking it to a more normal temperature room. I'll also proceed with my installation of windows and run some further tests.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

If I add a couple of 80 mm fans, should they blow air in or take air out? The fans will be mounted next to each other.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Unfortunately this case only offers air to blow out the side. Although the one advantage is the CPU is right next to that side.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Actually I checked under load couple days ago. HW Monitor reported 90C under full load within 3 minutes of testing. I put in an order for an aftermarket cooler but I'm wondering if HWMonitor is reporting incorrectly. I am extremely confused at what to believe. I have read that some say some of these apps will display an incorrect idle temp for these APUs but the under load temp is relatively accurate.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

The case is a Silverstone Milo ML03. I'm using AMD's stock HSF and there are two 80mm fans pulling air out of the case. I've read that AMD recommends using Core Temp or AMD Overdrive to read temps so I think I may check that. I think HWMonitor is wrong.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Yes, both on the same side. That is the only option available for fans with the HTPC case.

avanluv

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

Well I have 2 80 mm fans pulling hot air out of the case. It can hold up to 4 but I don't want it really noisy. I have a Cooler Master Geminll M4 on order so that should help.

However, I did some further tests last night using different apps to monitor temps. AMD temperature readings aren't as straight forward. I did a full load last night using AMD Overdrive and Core Temp and both ere identical. The idle reported 0 which from what I read with these AMDs is normal as they are unable to report a proper idle temperature. Under full load they reported a around 48C and seemed relatively steady.

There is a good posting here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/amd-temp-information-and-guide

The HWMonitor was still reporting a top out of 95C under package for the processor section which has to be incorrect. I would assume I'd see some errors in Prime95 or some sort of shutdown for protection. Although I only ran Prime95 for 5 minutes.

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Hey, dude, a friend of mine has this exact same APU. Look for a switch on the motherboard with a red LED. It's an instant factory overclock switch. You can turn it off and get better temps, aside from that, invest in arctic Silver 5.

My A8-3850 (1st gen Llano) sits around 40°c on IDLE and jumps to around 60°c in load, but I had to underclock it by 300Mhz so it didn't hang/froze up. The stock cooling solution packed for the APUs is really bad/terrible.

I'd recommend getting an old Phenom II stock cooler or anything that can cope with 100W+ that's small. Thermaltake and others have low profile HSF that support 95W+ CPUs. I'm pretty sure you can find them for cheap.

CoolerMaster has this one: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3091

I think is the best low profile HSF out there, before going for water cooling.

Cheers!