Upgrade from AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I am looking to upgrade from a Upgrade from a [== Black Edition ==] AMD AthlonT64 X2 6400+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

I just wanted to know what some of my options are with my current motherboard.

My motherboard:

Asus M2N-SLI NVIDIA nForce 560 SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, IEEE 1394, USB 2.0, Dual PCI-E MB )

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Was possibly thinking about this one

Phenom IIX4 925 (HDX925WFK4DGI),2.8GHz,95W,rev.C2,SocketAM3,Quad-Core

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Any of the Phenom II X4 CPUs are decent and are definite upgrades from your Athlon 64 X2. Why exactly do you want to upgrade? I can recommend you a CPU based on price/performance requirements/region.

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

well I am getting blue screens only when I try to load games. normal activities work fine. It seems everytime I try to put a load on it I get BSOD. The error mentioned the A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval. Also I ran a load tester program which also kept crashing my computer. I was told it is either the cpu or the ram.. I took all ram out and tested 1 by 1.. Im pretty sure its not the ram. I dont need the highest priced cpu just something that can get me playing games again.

I am pretty good with taking everything apart and adding new hardware, I have a built a few computers a few years back, . I struggle with just matching upgrades

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

alright downloading and going to run program now

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Wow yeah that CPU is too hot, 70C is not good! You need to make sure your PC is dust free. What CPU cooler are you using? If your PC isn't dusty and your still having high temps you need to apply some new thermal paste.

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Yeah its not dusty, I just cleaned it about a week ago, very little dust in there....

Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance AMD CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )

and my case

Case ( Thermaltake Armor Gaming Case w/25cm Fan Side Panel Windows, 420W Power Supply Black

Big 5 inch fan on side

what temp should it be running at or around?

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

If this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102
is your CPU cooler then you have some decent cooling so I'm thinking you need to replace you thermal paste.

recommended temps are below 50C, 50C+ is bad.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Oh ok. Well I suggest you take off the CPU cooler and reapply the thermal paste. To properly apply the paste put one pea size drop on the CPU and mount the heatsink back on.

Don't forget to clean the old paste off of the CPU and heatsink with rubbing alcohol.

adubbs

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

alright, is there any special kind I should get, will that in itself help the temp?

logainofhades

Titan
Arctic silver is pretty decent for the price. If your thermal paste is dried up, that will cause the system to overheat. The thermal paste acts as a heat transfer between CPU and heatsink. It fills up any tiny scratches or imperfections in the heatsink and CPU heat shield to ensure a more even heat transfer surface. If it is all dried up, it is unable to do this properly.