Converting a router to a bridge

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
So, I'm looking to setup an old router as a bridge to use on my Sony S390 blu ray player. I want to set it up on my router's 5ghz radio/band.

Here is the setup... I was going to use a Netgear WNDR3700 N600 router, but I found this N750 router on Newegg and decided to return the Netgear N600 router as it saved me like $30. Seemed like a good deal/option so I can invest more money elsewhere. Anyway, I will use the Netgear WNDR4000 N750 as my gateway router. Attached to it will be an old Linksys Wireless B router as an access point and a Tenda 8 port gigabit switch.

My PS3 will utilize the wireless B router because it cannot do N and I do not want it to drag down my other devices' transfer speeds. Off of the Tenda switch I will have my server, and probably 2 PCs wired to it.

I will have 2-3 smart phones and 2-3 laptops running on the N750 2.4ghz radio/band. Then, I want to add my wifi blu ray player and other streaming devices (I will be using those Linux based Pi computers) to my N750 5ghz radio/band.

Now, I've tested the Pi's already and can use a USB N adapter so they will utilize the 5ghz band. I've been told to setup a router as a bridge for the blu ray player in order for it to run on the 5ghz band. I'm trying to save as much money as possible, so I've been thinking of going the route of installing dd-wrt firmware on an old $30-$40 router rather than buy a $100-$150 bridge. I came across this Linksys E2500 router and was wondering if I could get some insight on using it as a bridge in my setup before buying it. Also, how big of a deal is it to install the dd-wrt firmware? Is it a pain to deal with? How hard is it to recover the router if something messes up? Am I able to convert this E2500 to a dual band bridge (which according to this, I can install the dd-wrt firmware)?

Aunnix

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
@ Emerald: So, for some reason the forum is not allowing me to reply to your answer, but....

Ah. From what I've heard tigerdirect and newegg are random about which version of the routers they ship so I will have to check into how to get the correct one if I go this route. I'm mainly trying to figure out if it is worth the time and effort to invest in the dd-wrt route or if I should just break down and spend the extra $50 and get a D-link (I believe) bridge from Microcenter. I'm very concerned about "bricking" the router and being out the $30-$40. As I understand it, it is quite difficult and most of the time cannot be done to recover a router that has bricked. Even with manufacturer firmware.

Haha, I opened this link up and was like "$40! Hell yeah I'll go that route." But, I started to wonder the difference between the WNDR3400 N600 and the WNDR3700 N600 (which I started this project with) and figured out the WNDR3400 is not gigabit which I am trying to utilize. They did actually offer the WNDR3700 refurb, but it was only $10 less than the WNDR4000 so I figured I'd get the stronger of the two.