AMD vs. nVidia Why each?

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I have a question.. when I look at AMD vs nVidia right now, it seems that AMD continually gives the same performance for less. Other than the GTX 690 being the best, what advantage does nVidia really have over AMD?

The differences between technologies has been written about over and over. AMD does better at OpenCL application in this generation. Nvidia has unique technologies like PhysX, Adaptive VSync, TXAA, FXAA, forced ambient occlusion, frame latency smoothing, and monitor overclocking.

The thing that I would question is your assumption that AMD does better than Nvidia at all price points in terms of performance. It seems to be true in terms of the mid- and low- end 7800 and 7700 series, but not so much in the upper high-end ranges where the 670, 660, and 660 Ti may have the advantage.

perfdollar_1920.gif

Some users say drivers, but AMD drivers are honestly pretty good and improve and optimist game performance with each release.

For me personally.

AMD

+Great game bundles
+Performance per dollar
+More video options(for watching DVD/BD/ect)
+IMO great driver improvements over time(game performance increases. Nvidia has similar, but i think AMD may have an edge at times.)

-Noise(can be overcome with 3rd party cards)
-Not quite as advanced control panel(but they have improved the per game profiles ALLOT with the newer drivers)

Nvidia

+Much more quiet at the higher end
+Nvidia inspector(third party program, but very useful. Radeon Pro has a long way to go to compete with this.)
+Lower power consumption at peak loads(680 VS 7970 @ furmarks loads).
+PhysX for the games that use it.

-Poor game bundle(pay to win game money. Not ideal in my opinion)
-Not as many video filtering options(DVD/BD/ECT)

Overall, it is hard to call it anything but a tie.

Personal preference may lead a user one way or the other. I would like a quieter card(as well as a blower style cooler, but AMD's current blower style cooler is WAY too loud for my taste.), but AMD's game bundle is FAR better IMO.

angry12345

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I have always owned nvidia cards.. never gone with AMD before going back to the GeForce 2. While I was looking at newer cards I just was noticing that the 7970 is generally about 20% cheaper than the comparable GTX 680.

I admit the sample size was not as large as I was looking more at a segment of second tier cards.. Cards that that were the latest and greatest just a few months ago but have just been bumped off. I tend to like to buy that way because i find it is like buying a 6 month old used vehicle. Somebody has already taken the hit on the depreciation and it can still do everything you could possibly want currently

poorly asked blanket question