destroy pen drive data

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
A couple of years ago I bought a pen flash drive and it just broke down. It briefly flashes the LED while I plug it in and once fully inserted it stops, and is not recognized by any computer. (Even tried leaving it plugged half way.)
Luckily I had backup of the data and the pen is still covered by the warranty.
However I had sensitive data on it and I really don't want some a**hole or criminal to try to repair it once its sent to the manufacturer (is that custom practice for broken flash drives?)
I know I'm being a bit paranoid and overcautious but I would like suggestions on physical ways to assure data from the flash drive cannot be recovered, while still maintaining a decent appearance on the outside.
The guy at the store said he would take it as long as it still looked like a pen drive, but I don't want to risk bringing something with melted plastic, burn marks, or.. well.. in pieces.

So far, I found the microwave idea, which sounds great if not for the bright flash that comes off after a few seconds, which would probably leave burn marks, although I haven't found any video that shows the pen after taking it out.

Opening it would be OK, but its one of those extremely small models, so: hard to open and probably weired internal design and tiny circuits. (model EMTEC 4GB http://www.lojadelta.com.br/gerencia/upload/PENDRIVE%20EMTEC%204GB%20SITE.jpg)

Any ideas?
Also, does someone know what happens to this kind of item after its returned?
Thanks in advance

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
It's a 4GB pen drive. How much is your time and effort worth? How much is being certain your data is protected worth to you? Smash the thing to smithereens, take another $7.00 and go to Office Depot and pick up a new one.

popatim

Titan
$7... ?? Must be a high end 4gb model. <grin>
Seriously, I bought four 16gb flash drives from staples for $5.99 each just before Newyears (maybe it was christmas) Smash it into a billion peices with a hammer and go buy a new one. Consider it the cost of your privacy.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Last flash drive I bought was a Christmas gift for my brother in law. Kind of a stocking stuffer. It had a rubber cartoon character (Speedy Gonzales) as the drive body. It was a 4GB drive for $7.00...

For the time and effort I am honestly amazed that anyone would bother with warranty support on a flash drive. Especially one so small... Seems like wasted effort...

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Well, the manufacturer will look at the files, possibly use an undelete program to recover files, and probably share the information around with workmates in the lunch room. Perhaps even youtube some of it.

I had a troublesome hard drive back in the last century, took it to my Pc guy from where it was purchased originally, and when I came back to pick it up, he knew who I worked for, which companies that I dealt with and the costs of products and all else that was on the hard drive. I shrugged it off, I had been dealing with him for many years, and just secretly hoped he wouldn't share the information with anyone else. The only good thing was that he treated me with more respect once finding out that I was a person of some importance (not really, just a warehouse foreman who did his own PC work) but also got good discounts from then on.

Basically, a flash memory drive or pen drive should never be returned even under warranty considering the cost to replace it. Smash it wth a hammer and then throw it on the nearest active volcano or a lit fireplace.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Thank you all for your answers.

To all of you mentioning the cost of 4GB pen vs worth of privacy, I agree, however the pen was bought back when they were expensive (I think it was 15€ (20$), and since I'm low on cash these days seams like a waste.
I actually have a chinese seller that sells me crazy cheap pens, I just want the cash value for other stuff.

Except for the smashing part that doesn't cover memory you don't have access to.

Interesting story, you really got f*ckd on that one. But I think "manufacturers" and "PC store guys" are different (at least I hope so). If someone I don't like comes to me with a HDD/pen I might recover data to take a peek. But an employee receiving broken company products is different I think...

Well I took a 2nd look and at least the bank files that were there don't have enough info to actually pose a threat, so I'm going to return it. But I must say, If I was a bit wealthier I wouldn't =/

Thanks

popatim

Titan
When you send something it it usually doesn't go to the 'Company' for repair. They usually get outsourced to repair facilities. Having worked at one of these places I can tell you that yes we would often take a quick look at what a customer has on their drives.

raiden-kun

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Damn... I think I'll stick it in the microwave, If they don't take it back then I'll just smash it.
Thanks for the inside information.