Sign in with
Your question
Solved

i5 3570k + Radeon HD 7870 tahiti streaming capabilities

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
March 18, 2013 9:52:05 AM

So I'm in the process of building a new system that includes the aforementioned parts. I've seen posts of the i5 being able to handle streaming but am not positive about the gpu. So pending my internet will this setup plus a standard 8 gb of ram be able to stream and if so at what capacity? Thanks in advance.

Best solution

March 18, 2013 10:22:55 AM

I have this exact setup you are talking about. I have been able to stream SimCity, the new DMC, and Starcraft 2 on max settings with no real problems. I have been streaming in 720p, but the gpu does get a bit noisy. I do use dual monitors with a single card though. The second monitor is useful for viewing the chat. Also, it seems like it is just taxing on the CPU to stream, but I don't know what program you use. I switched from Xsplit to OBS recently, and it has proven fairly capable. You should be fine streaming with the card. If I were you, I would get an aftermarket cooler and overclock. Prior to a buying a Corsair H80i and overclocking, I was getting high temps on my processor in excess of 75+ degrees Celsius. I hope I provided some help. Good luck with your streaming. Be sure to post a link to your channel, and I might stop by.
March 18, 2013 12:26:56 PM

peer_o said:
I have this exact setup you are talking about. I have been able to stream SimCity, the new DMC, and Starcraft 2 on max settings with no real problems. I have been streaming in 720p, but the gpu does get a bit noisy. I do use dual monitors with a single card though. The second monitor is useful for viewing the chat. Also, it seems like it is just taxing on the CPU to stream, but I don't know what program you use. I switched from Xsplit to OBS recently, and it has proven fairly capable. You should be fine streaming with the card. If I were you, I would get an aftermarket cooler and overclock. Prior to a buying a Corsair H80i and overclocking, I was getting high temps on my processor in excess of 75+ degrees Celsius. I hope I provided some help. Good luck with your streaming. Be sure to post a link to your channel, and I might stop by.

Thank you for the quick response! I'm only using one monitor since it's all I have, and I was planning on getting a cooler and OCing at some point and I'll try both Xsplit and OBS. http://www.twitch.tv/riposinpace I haven't really been able to use it because my system is poor now, but hopefully in the next few weeks it'll be up. Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2013 2:21:13 PM

ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:

Thank you for the quick response! I'm only using one monitor since it's all I have, and I was planning on getting a cooler and OCing at some point and I'll try both Xsplit and OBS. http://www.twitch.tv/riposinpace I haven't really been able to use it because my system is poor now, but hopefully in the next few weeks it'll be up. Thanks again.

Well, OBS is a bit better in terms of audio and cpu management, but Xsplit is probably easier to use initially. I would say that the CPU cooler is almost necessary if you want to play a processor demanding game and stream it. I will be sure to give your page a follow later today. If you are serious about streaming, I would definitely look into a second monitor down the line. I just have my GPU also plugged into my tv, so I can monitor my system, music, and chat. I go live on http://www.twitch.tv/thelastsavepoint. Oh, I have one more thing to add. When you buy the 7870 XT or Tahiti LE, try to get the one that isn't the Powercolor one. As I said before, it is pretty loud under load, and I think the Sapphire one might be better with two fans, but I just checked Newegg and it says discontinued. If you get the Powercolor one, you won't be disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have the case right next to me while playing. Have some great streams, and good luck.
m
l
March 18, 2013 3:30:32 PM

peer_o said:
ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:

Well, OBS is a bit better in terms of audio and cpu management, but Xsplit is probably easier to use initially. I would say that the CPU cooler is almost necessary if you want to play a processor demanding game and stream it. I will be sure to give your page a follow later today. If you are serious about streaming, I would definitely look into a second monitor down the line. I just have my GPU also plugged into my tv, so I can monitor my system, music, and chat. I go live on http://www.twitch.tv/thelastsavepoint. Oh, I have one more thing to add. When you buy the 7870 XT or Tahiti LE, try to get the one that isn't the Powercolor one. As I said before, it is pretty loud under load, and I think the Sapphire one might be better with two fans, but I just checked Newegg and it says discontinued. If you get the Powercolor one, you won't be disappointed. Maybe I shouldn't have the case right next to me while playing. Have some great streams, and good luck.

Oh yea I didn't even think about that I actually have my tv hooked up now it's just used for watching streams or netflix separately. I went with the powercolor since it was the only one available. Thanks I'll follow you to, I didn't see League of Legends on your stream account you should get into it if you aren't already :) 
m
l
March 18, 2013 3:33:06 PM

ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:
ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:

Oh yea I didn't even think about that I actually have my tv hooked up now it's just used for watching streams or netflix separately. I went with the powercolor since it was the only one available. Thanks I'll follow you to, I didn't see League of Legends on your stream account you should get into it if you aren't already :) 

I am not at home right now, so I will definitely follow you when I get home. I do play quite a bit of LoL, or I did until I bought a few games this past month. I just didnt have the upload speed to stream in 720p and have a stable ping, so I stopped doing it. I figured you might do that. The powercolor is a cheaper card, but they had both on Amazon. I doubt the Sapphire was worth the 20-30 bucks more anyway.
m
l
March 18, 2013 3:37:55 PM

peer_o said:
ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:
ezioaudi said:
peer_o said:

I am not at home right now, so I will definitely follow you when I get home. I do play quite a bit of LoL, or I did until I bought a few games this past month. I just didnt have the upload speed to stream in 720p and have a stable ping, so I stopped doing it. I figured you might do that. The powercolor is a cheaper card, but they had both on Amazon. I doubt the Sapphire was worth the 20-30 bucks more anyway.

Thanks you'll be #5 ha! yea I got it from newegg it had a $30 rebate with it, couldn't pass it up. My summoner on LOL is EzioAudi if you're ever on.
m
l
!