Trying to decide between 27" and 24"

danieljvdm

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a 27" monitor or a 24" monitor. I currently have a 23" samsung next to a 20" acer. I love having two screens, makes productivity so much better.

If I get a 27" I'll probably buy another one down the line as well and scrap my other screens. My reason for considering 24" is possibly going eyefinity/surround vision down the line. Also, do you think that going for 120-144hz for 3D is worth it?

I am going to game a lot on whatever screen I get, so that's a factor. I'm also going to be doing lots of video editing. I will run this on either a 670 or a 7970.

Which monitors would you guys suggest? Thanks.

danieljvdm

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
I love the specs and everything, but that bezel really does kill me. It makes the monitor look like a small TV screen. I want to keep my options open for additional monitors down the line, so I really dont' want a bezel that thick and ugly.

I'm starting to lean more towards 24" now. Just trying to decide if I want 120HZ now... Do you think the 670/7970 will handle 120HZ from one monitor fine? Also, what about frapsing ingame?

I personally use a 120hz 3D Vision monitor, and love playing in 3D Vision. I recently started playing Far Cry 3, and decided to try playing the game in 2D to start and turn everything up to get a good DX11 experience. Frankly I found it to look a little disappointing. After a bit, I switched to 3D Vision after a 3D Vision mod fix, and the game is just a lot better looking.

Even with settings turned down, when 3D Vision works, it just looks great. When 3D Vision is not an option, I shoot for 80+ FPS for smooth game play.

If you get a 120hz 3D monitor, you should go with Nvidia. 3D Vision has more support, both from drivers and a mod community.

You won't be able to hit 120 FPS in many games, but I personally find a nice improvement up to 80 FPS. Especially if you like to avoid tearing and uses vsync.

In either 1440p or 120hz options, a single 670/7970 will require you to turn down settings to take advantage of them.

I personally feel that 3D Vision is worth more than a higher resolution. Once in 3D, since each eye gets its own image, it almost seems like a higher resolution. Aliasing becomes less distracting, because you are viewing two images that get mashed together in your mind, it is much like having a higher resolution and you get true depth perception as well.

In 2D, the higher FPS and lower latency makes games feel more responsive.

TRENDING THREADS