disk boot failure on installing Win 7

bunyan1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Our home computer running XP had a harddrive failure. I replaced the harddrive and now want to install Win 7-64 bit on it. However I now get a "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" when I try to use the install disk. How can I correct this?

I had tested the system via windows Win 7 intall advisor a month ago and had no outstanding issues, so it should work.

After reading many forums about this, here is what I've tried:

-My system is running on a Gigabyte P35-DS3L with 4 gig ram, and the system ran fine previously until the HD died
    --I have only one new harddrive running, which I tested in another machine to make sure it was good--and it ran fine.
    --I swapped out the harddrive with another one (backup) and still got the same message
    --changed the boot order to USB--DVD Drive--Harddrive and messed around with different orders
    --tried a USB DVD drive--spun the disk but gave same error message
    --tried a different Win 7 DVD (from work) but got same message

Help! I'm really at a loss. I've read lots of other people's entries on this same problem and have tried what I found, but to no avail.

bunyan1

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Fixed! To answer your question, yes the DVD is bootable. I had tried the USB before with the same results but decided to try it again after making some more tweaks in the bios. I also reinstalled the software on the USB. It worked. I'm not sure if the Bios changes or the software reload made the difference, but it worked fine after that.

Thanks for the help!