Is it worth building a computer now?

Mullac

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Hi there,

I'm wondering, since it's the (near) beginning of the year if it is worth building a PC or waiting later on in the year.

Are any of the big companies planning to release new products that will push the price of the current ones down?

Thanks in advance.

Mullac

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Will that decrease the price of the current processors available or is it not a large enough improvement?

johnvonmacz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

They won't decrease the price. Even a Sandy Brridge CPU pretty much still the same price as the current IVY Bridge.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes this is true. CPUs don't depreciate in price the way GPUs do. You can still find 4 year old i7-920s going for $300 on eBay and 6 year old Q6600s going for $300 on eBay.

Mullac

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Oh, well that's a bit of a bummer. Thanks fro the info guys.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

However, he will pay a premium on a new socket type when buying the motherboard.

johnvonmacz

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012

I say, wait til haswell comes out then build. It will have a new LGA 1150 socket which makes it incompatible to current motherboards if you plan to upgrade in the future.

g-unit1111

Titan

Not necessarily true. If current price factors are any indication the i5-4570K and the i7-4770K will probably retail around the price the current ones are now. You might pay $5 - $10 more ($240 for the i5, $340 for the i7, respectively) but nothing *THAT* significant.

slomo4sho

Distinguished

I was referring to the new motherboards and not the CPUs.

Mullac

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
So basically, the current CPUs will be slightly cheaper with the release of the new haswell, but to a very small degree (£10+?).

g-unit1111

Titan

Assuming Intel doesn't release 100 new chipsets to go along with the 4XXX series like they did with the 3XXX series, I'm guessing most motherboards also won't retail for much more than what's out there now. So probably $100 for base model, $150 for overclock capable models, and $250+ for advanced models (Asus Sabertooth, Asrock OC Formula, EVGA FTW, Gigabyte G1, etc).

So basically, the current CPUs will be slightly cheaper with the release of the new haswell, but to a very small degree (£10+?).

Yeah pretty much, same with the motherboards. There will only be a *SLIGHT* price drop in all areas and then maybe a *SLIGHT* increase on motherboards and RAM, but don't expect anything too dramatic.