Failing 2xSSD RAID0. Going "Missing Hard Drive" After a Few Minutes

spiritfly

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I have these two Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD in Raid0. A week or two ago, my windows 7 restared a few times. I thought it's not a big deal and continued my work. Then one day I've had a BSOD and Windows wasn't able to boot again.

I noticed the error in the array while booting. One drive had the following status: error occurred(0). Windows would start booting and then go BSOD.

I've tried booting a win7 from hirens. The raid volume works normally for a while and then one of the disks disappears and the raid volume isn't accessible. I've managed to save some small files like this, but the time until the drive starts missing is too short to copy something significant out of it.

Do you know any solution how to recover my files out of this junk?

Learned my lesson the hard way. I will NEVER EVER do RAID0 again! ESPECIALLY not on a SSDs.

popatim

Titan
With raid0 you have 2 choices: Be diligent with backups (which you should do regardless) or 'live with' the possibility of loosing everything or having to recover/reinstall everything.

When you are willing to accept that raid0- is not two drives but rather 1 fast drive with twice the failure rate then it becomes more manageable since you are prepared for exactly that.

I would check for firmware updates for the drive and see if thay have any diagnostic software for their SSD's while you're there. It wouldn't hurt to check SMART either.