Win7 fails to boot in normal mode after motherboard change. Safe mode works

Pumpizmus

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Hi,

I had to change my motherboard after the old one died. This one has a different chipset so the OS failed to boot to either normal or safe mode - stop 0x07b due to the IDE/AHCI/SATA mash-up.

I semi-fixed this by adding the sata drivers from usb via repair console with the "dism /image:c:\ /add-driver..." command. Now I can boot safe mode but in normal mode, although the logo animation advances a liitle further to its full form :) it still crashes, this time without a stop code or a BSOD, even with auto-restart disabled.

I managed to boot normally a couple of times through obscure combinations of startup recovery, safe mode and restarts. One example I managed to replicate is:

power on, fail, run startup recovery (takes about 10 mins, cannot find anything, offers to send report, cancel), run it again through advanced options (runs short, doesn't find anything), restart, same fail again, boot safe mode, disable all services, restart, boots normally. But if I restart (even with all services still disabled) this normal mode it fails to boot again and I am at the beginning.

TL;DR - After fixing the classic post-mobo-change boot fail loop by injecting new sata drivers via console the normal boot process advances a little further but eventually fails anyway. However, at least safe mode works now. I cannot figure out what is missing.

Note - I am leaving the clean-sweep Win reinstall as a last resort I would like to avoid.

ranco58

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
If the computer is a "pre-built system (like Dell, Acer, etc) you will not be able to use "the system recovery" on the hard drive as it was leagal only for the computer that it was installed on and with a different mother board now will not work. You will need a Windows 7 DVD not tied to the pre-built system (retail version) then you can boot of of the CD and do a system repair it will save the old windows install under "winold" so you will be able to copy your old docs, pics etc to the new documents location then you can delete the old install to get hard drive space back. If the system is a home built system then do the same thing.

Ranco58