FX8350 Minimum Processor State Hard LockUp/Freeze

skimyy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Hello guys!

Recently built a new system with a FX8350. However, I've been experiencing random hard lock ups/freezing.

EDIT: MOBO is Gigabyte 990FXA UD3

I tried a bunch of tests, etc and its not a hardware nor software problem.

So I gave it a last shot and raised the "Minimum Processor State" from 5% to 100%.

Haven't had a single lock up/freeze the past week.

What could this mean? Do I have to keep this at 100%?

Do I go to BIOS and turn of C6 state, AMD Cool n Quiet, etc?

PS.

The FX8350 is such a weird CPU. It's current temperature constantly fluctuates in HWMonitor, not to mention CPU Frequency fluctuating in CPU-Z (This is when Min. Processor state was set to 5%).

burritobrownie

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
If you have power saving features enabled it will flucuate the freq. depending on what you are doing and in turn will make the temps go up and down. That part is normal. The min proc state should not affect it in that way. What are your max cpu temps? What o/s are you using? Could you ellaborate on what tests you performed? What revision is your mobo , 1.0 2.0 or 3.0? Sounds like you may need to update the bios if all else checks out.

Hard lockups generally mean something REALLY low level isn't quite functioning right. Most common cause is an unstable OC, RAM that has trouble at normal voltages, etc. Its possible that a bad mobo could cause dynamic frequency adjustment to lock up the CPU though.

I'd wager its the mobo, but really hard to tell without doing a lot of testing.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
That bites. Did a new version fix it?

I've had CPUZ crash one server but overall CPUZ/HWMonitor have been apps I've run on just about every computer I manage.

xflowpipe

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I had problems with HWmonitor in the past. I got AIDA64 and it works pretty darn accurate.
Also, run prime95 for a while and check temps plus voltages. Are you using the stock heatsink?

skimyy

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013

All the Hardware is fine. Voltages, temps are good to go.

The past month, I've been using my PC WITHOUT HWMonitor on, and haven't had a single lock up.
Few days ago, I just randomly turned on HWMonitor and gamed for a bit, only to get a hard lockup.

Google searching also turned up frequent hard lock ups for others when using HWMonitor.

So I think this confirms it is indeed HWMonitor.

Hopefully others experiencing this sees this thread instead of wasting so much time for a fix like I did...
Darn you HWMonitor...