Sign in with
Your question

Rookie Looking for Advice - Media Center/Gaming PC Build

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2013 6:12:41 PM

Hey everyone, I want to build my first PC and am looking for advice on what I have so far. I've been researching and lurking forums for around a month but am very new to this. I would not be surprised if i've overlooked something in my current setup. I plan to use it primarily as a media center (most likely XBMC) connected to my living room HDTV. I will be storing all my music, movies and shows as well as playing games. My main concern with gaming is smooth Wii emulation which I understand requires some power. I would also like to play some modern titles like Skyrim and Bioshock Infinite. Again, I'm new to this and not sure if I'm overdoing it or undergoing it with this setup. I wouldn't mind cutting some costs if possible. Hoping to get it going in the next few weeks. I know there are a ton of these posts and appreciated your time! Thanks, Josh

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 - 4 Weeks
Budget Range: $1000-1200
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Media storage and playback in HD, Online video streaming, Gaming (Dolphin emulation, Skyrim)
Parts Not Required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Sound System, Controllers, OS (I will be using Windows 7)
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No

Here is what I've come up with so far. Also, pretty clueless as far as Cooling and Power Supply requirements go

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C12P SE14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($173.79 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($135.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($283.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1211.66
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 18, 2013 7:04:37 PM

AMD's suggestions sadly mean the build will go over budget. With that out of the way there are a couple things that I would change.

You can save some money by getting a corsair vengeance 8GB kit it's about 10$ cheaper than the one you were looking at.

Get a 7950, you can get Bioshock Infinite Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider for free, plus it performs 10% or so faster than the 660Ti. (It is also the same price)

Switch to a trusted PSU brand, the one you have simply will not do. Those include XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, and Silverstone

March 18, 2013 7:32:05 PM

burritobob said:
AMD's suggestions sadly mean the build will go over budget. With that out of the way there are a couple things that I would change.

You can save some money by getting a corsair vengeance 8GB kit it's about 10$ cheaper than the one you were looking at.

Get a 7950, you can get Bioshock Infinite Crysis 3 and Tomb Raider for free, plus it performs 10% or so faster than the 660Ti. (It is also the same price)

Switch to a trusted PSU brand, the one you have simply will not do. Those include XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, and Silverstone

Thanks, that deal on the 7950 is awesome! I chose that power supply because it is modular and reviews said it was very quiet. Although I suppose I can find something similar from one of the other brands. Thanks again
!