Short circuit mobo

Amaze904

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Ok recently I ordered all my parts for my build (first build) and put most of it together. These are what I have so far;
AMD 8530 8 core
MSI 990xa gd55
16 gb patriot viper 3
1000w ocz z series psu
Thermal take ms-I mid tower
- Waiting on a gigabyte hd 7970 oc

When I started putting my oc together, I was extra careful and cautious about discharging myself. But I noticed my case only came with two standoffs o_O so I looked in the manual to verify and indeed that's all that came with it- the. I looked at the mobo installation page and it only said screw it in with screws....

So I did unknowingly what the full extent of these standoffs were for. Once everything was installed minus the graphics card, I decided to see if everything a good to go.

Booted up and got the correct error code telling me no video card and I shut it off, and put it in the closet-
Which has carpet.

Now feeling scared, I moved it today into a room with hard wood floors until Friday when I can get some standoffs-

And now it's lightning outside and I'm just a tab bit over worried I am going end up with a 1,200 dollar ordinate by the end of the night.

Could someone help ease my mind and assure me I have nothing to worry about, or should I go rip open my creation and do something to save it before its too late....

Thanx

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Really, if it's turned off and unplugged, there is no danger of electric damage unless the case itself get's struck by lightning. Most components today are made to dissipate static buildup, the big commotion about 'discharging your static' and 'no carpet' are really just to be extra cautious.
To tell you the truth, lightning struck the power pole outside my house, the current blew the breaker, so id didn't make a surge, but it did come in the house on the Cable TV cable (I use for internet). It went into all my computers blowing out all of their network cards, I replaced them and the computers work fine now. So computers are actually really good at dissipating extra power.

Amaze904

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
But I absolutely need the Stanford's before I run the of next time?

What's the chances of it being damaged from being run a couple of time for very short lengths of time without the standoffs?

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012

If you add the standoffs and don't get an error on boot, it should be fine.

Amaze904

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
When you boot and get the error codes, does it do all what's wrong or just the biggest one? Like if there multiple problems, does it list all the codes or just the worst one?