Trouble with amd 8120 3.1ghz cpu... not running up to its speed.

wse_jack

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
So the Arma 3 alpha's come out and all in all the system requirements are not to extensive, yet running it has brought a problem to light that i think has been hurting me for a while.

this is my computer...

AMD athlon 8120 3.1 ghz with a 15mb cache (8 cores)

8 gigs corsair ddr3 ram at 1600

Nvidia gtx 560 firmi with 2gigs ddr5 256bit ram

700 watt power box.

sata III 7200 rpm hd with a 64mb cache

asus M5A99fx evo motherboard

Now all in all my friend has allmost those exact same specs, a little lower on the gpu and mobo end but same cpu.

His computer runs great, getting 40 to 50 fps in the game, I get 10 to 20...

All in all in the same games with the same settings we tested it and regardless of changes made my computer is hurting in ways his is breezing.

Now we both agreed something in my set up is wrong, and i am dead set to figure out what it is, cept, say if i had damaged my cpu putting it in... wouldent it just not work?

I get ok performance in most games, not what i would like, but acceptable, i just figured that was my lot, but with him running the same system at the same clock speeds, i have no idea what the hell is going on.

I tried installing that ai sweet and ocing, that did nothing, ive updated windows 7, did nothing, updated gpu drivers, did nothing...

Is there a performance diagnostic (ie free diagnostic) that i can use that will check the individual measurments of my hardware so i can see if its running to spec, thus i can find where the weak link is?...

I realy dont want to have to buy whole new guts for my computer, hell i cant afford to... but if i have to i will cause im simply tired of underperformance.

The fact that we have such a similar set up and that his is running so much faster makes me think it may not be just one thing, though im leaning twoards the cpu, as with arma 3, changing the visual settings only seem to make about 5 fps difference between all on low, and all on max... thus the concern.

IF anyone knows of any diagnostics that can do what i mentioned, or have had problems with the 8120, please let me know.

My first guess is this is either power or heat related. A few quick things you can try.

1) Check what your power profile setting is in Windows. If for some reason it is set to Power saving, change to Balanced.
2) Install CPUID HWMonitor and check your overall system voltages and temperatures. Make sure everything is running according to spec.

Question: What is the make and model of your power supply?

wse_jack

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
Here is a JPG of what that hw thing you recomended said, i cant make heads or tails of it, but i dont know what i am looking for.

also the make and model of my pw supply is the

NZXT. HALE82 750 WAT

DC | +3.3v| +5v| +12v| -12v| +5vsb|
MX P | 25a| 25a| 62a| 0.5a| 3a|
150w| 744w| 6w| 15w|

Untitled.jpg

Thanks for actualy answering man instead of giving a generic response. all i got on the arma forums lol.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Is your BIOS/MoBo setup for your correct clock speed? That's a simple hardware check, and it's easy to overlook.

Your temps are inline...~30 C is where you should be running...make sure it stays under 50 C under load

Other thing would be to have your PSU tested...but nothing looks way out of whack there.

logainofhades

Titan

I am not sure what he means either. If he is talking about dip switches on the motherboard, they quit making those a long time ago. I haven't seen one board with them in years.

8350rocks

Distinguished

If you built your PC, you should have the diagram of the MoBo...if not, you'll need to track it down. There are some switches on the MoBo itself, that manually set the clock multiplier. The Diagram of your MoBo will show you how to set the clock multiplier to properly set the speed of your CPU. You can manually set your MoBo to the proper setting for your clock multiplier...it's very easy to overlook.

Edit: Some boards it's also in the Bios...you may look there as well and see if your Clock Multiplier is set to Auto...

8350rocks

Distinguished

Really? Someone the other day fixed this same problem by setting the clock multiplier on the board with a different AMD series chip...though it was in the Bios for them...some boards still have them...though they are rarer these days.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1628717/fx6200-8ghz-box-whats.html

logainofhades

Titan
I honestly have not seen any kind of switches on the motherboard for years. Jumpers for the cmos for reset is about it. Everything for overclocking on every board I have had for the last 10yrs has been in the bios. That is everything from a 700mhz Duron, in my first built rig, to my current i5 3570k. I have had various boards for both AMD and Intel over the years and have only seen those switches on old PIII and older boards.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I have seen them on some server boards...in recent years, and though I haven't seen them on a standard board in some time...I guess they could be phased out by now. I last built my PC about 2 years ago and the clock multiplier was in the Bios on this one...

Meh, I've been around a while I guess...

wse_jack

Honorable
Jul 26, 2012
not sure if my comp has them but my clock multiplier is set to auto and it does show as 3.1 and 3.9 when i over clock it... which since that seems to do nothing performance wise for me i just leave it as is. also, yhea i checked out the power profile and everything seems within normal, nothing set to power saving.

8350rocks

Distinguished

you would need an Ohmeter/voltmeter, and just put your hot/ground plugs into the connection...if you don't have access to that, a local PC repair place could probably test it for you at a minimal cost, if they charge you anything at all.