New build audio computer

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
To upgrade from my current laptop-based setup, I am looking to build a computer for around £550-£700 (no peripherals) as my main music composition system, using mainly slightly outdated components!

I have never done this before, but I have replaced, upgraded and fixed components so am not a total beginner.

The requirements are:

• ■Texas Instruments firewire chipset (the only one that can handle audio properly across firewire connection)
    ■As quiet as possible
    ■Overclockable
    ■Reasonably fast disk streaming
    ■Multiple monitor support (in future, not right away)
    ■And obviously a decent upgrade from my current 32-bit, 4GB, i5 laptop.

I've done a fair bit of research and here's what I've come up with, including rough ebay prices:

• ■Case: CoolerMaster Silencio 550 £60
    ■Motherboard: Intel DP67BG, LGA 1155 (includes TI firewire chipset) £60 OR Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3-iSSD (not sure about TI firewire but allows use of 2600K onboard graphics and has 20GB SSD included) £100
    ■CPU: i7 2600K £190
    ■Cooler: Thermalright Macho 120 £30
    ■RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600 £100
    ■Graphics: Silent Radeon hd 6450 (very basic) or 7750 (good) £30/£120 OR nothing for the moment with the Gigabyte motherboard
    ■PSU: Something fanless like Seasonic x-460 £100
    ■HDD: A 7200 1TB main drive, possibly a separate SSD for the OS
    ■Bog-standard DVD burner drive: As cheap as I can find

Main questions:

• ■Can you spot anything here that wouldn't be compatible with the overall system?
    ■Does anyone have any specific recommendations on specific RAM, PSU and HDD models?
    ■I plan to overclock the system a little, while keeping it quiet. Will the quiet case, fanless GPU and PSU cause the system to get too hot?
    ■Of the specific models I've listed, is there something providing similar functionality for a lower price?
    ■I've heard that an SSD boot disk improves boot times, which I'm not really fussed about. However, if it also boosts the overall speed significantly then I would be interested - thoughts?
    ■The two graphics card options - I will be doing literally no gaming and disable all fancy graphics on Windows. Would there be any other reason to get the more expensive 7750? I would be watching some HD video - how would the 6450 handle that?
    ■Is there anything in here which seems unnecessary for my requirements?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Jack

For your questions -

1. Nice parts, I dont think there are any issues...
Some suggestions -
Check this case as well..
Fractal Design Define R3
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-define-r3-usb-30-black-pearl-mid-tower-performance-case-new-cable-routing-noise-absor

2 - PSU option
- If you would go with say a 80+ Gold and above then you wont need to go fanless as the fan in those PSUs run very slow or dont run at all... ;)
http://www.ebuyer.com/291734-be-quiet-e9-straightpower-580w-modular-psu-bn198
http://www.ebuyer.com/291729-be-quiet-e9-straightpower-480w-modular-psu-bn197

RAM -
Corsair Vengence Low Profile
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-%282x8gb%29-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-low-profile-jet-black-pc3-12800-%281600%29-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-

3. CPU Cooler -
If you want performance and silence, then Noctua would be a very good choice.

About the SSD, Yes they will significantly reduce the boot times and also improve the app load times.

HD 7750 is better but better suited depends on your needs. If you are just looking for dual monitor support and the softwares wont take much advantage of high power graphics h/w, then go with the cheaper option.

Jack!,

I've had a dedicated recording /editing computer for the ten or so years, in the last several running Cakewalk home Studio XL2- Sonar's poor cousin. My current computer for this use is an HP Elite m9426 [Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4Hz, 8GB RAM, Radeon 6850, 750GB HD , Win 7 Ult 64] and I've made 100's of hours and CD's of both live and synthesizer recordings. Previous to the HP, I used the same software with great results on a Pentium III, 750MHz, 256 MB RAM, and 30 and 80GB HD's on an ultra 66 SCSI HD controller and using the same software, but running on XP instead of Windows 7

The thing is, you may well have in mind a system that is in excess of need. a reocrding computer is better thought of as a workstation than a gaming computer. For one thing, the CPU need not be a very high speed- the precision and reliability is more important, which also suggests contrary to overclocking. Also, as recording or editing, usually is running only one application at a time, probably 8GB RAM is sufficient, the key here is to use low latency, but even better is ECC error correcting. Also, the HD parameters to look for are fast access time, a 64MB cache and of course a lot of storage. I would say that SSD's are not necessary- the startup and transfers are fast but having 6GB's will also do those large transfers and having 2 TB files drives is affordable. You could of course have (120GB) SSD's for OS program and 6GB's mechanical for files. Notice I use the plural for drives- having lost too many files, I would suggest that you consider a RAID 1 in which two identical drives are mirrored- duplicated. If one drive fails, the other retains everything. Replace the failed drive and RAID rebuilds the duplicate. I would also separate the OS/Applications to one drive -or RAID and active files and storage/archive on another drive and in separate partitions. The graphics card need not be anything of the hot rod variety, but as recording application can have piles of windows, tiny buzzing VU meters, and small control markings, I would suggest a reasonable card and 22" or larger monitor with good resolution. Also, have the computer disconnected to the Internet and importantly, the antivirus switched off as it's normal state, only connecting on specific occasions to update or send files, etc, then run antivirus only manually- no scheduled task for anything- turn off all updaters and scheduled tasks. I have had a number of hours of recording ruined when an email notice or application, utility, antivirus update halted proceedings in the middle! Also, if it's a dedicated computer, have the minimum programs loaded- the OS, recording software, sound card control, a CD/DVD burner, and word-maker of some kind.

You might consider an E3 Xeon of middling speed, an ECC capable motherboard, 8 or 16GB 1600 ECC RAM, a Quadro 400 >

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2 $239.99

ASUS P8B-X LGA 1155 Intel C202 ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard $189.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ECC (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model $107.99 <9ms latency

2- ASUS DVD Burner Black SATA Model DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS $54.38 ($27.19 each)

LIAN LI PC-A71F USB3.0 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $239.99 > lots of room

2- Seagate Constellation ES ST500NM0011 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $199.98 ($99.99 each) < OS/programs in RAID 1

2- Seagate Constellation CS ST2000NC001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $139.99 < file storage archive in RAID 1

SeaSonic M12II 750 SS-750AM 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Semi-modular Power Supply $99.99

PNY VCQ400-PB Quadro 400 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Workstation Video Card $97.99

Subtotal: $1,370.29 -sorry £906.03 - and I forgot the CPU cooler- another $90.

Sorry, as I made an ideal recording computer rather than to budget as a test, it's gone, well, uh, several shillings over your limit,.. However, I hope this will describe the general intentions. This is a computer that could be used without fuss nor upgrades for years and years. If you'd like, I could revise this more to your budget, perhaps with a slower Xeon or with an i5 or i7 quad core CPU.

You might also consider doing what I did, which was to buy a good used workstation, such as a Dell Precision or HP z-series having a Xeon CPU, ECC RAM, and the like. Such a choice could be near the above specification, in your budget and ready to use, instead of shopping for 50 esoteric thingies, putting it together, testing , and etc.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

[Dell Precision T5400, 2x Xeon X5460 quad core @3.16GHz, 16 GB RAM, Quadro FX 4800 (1.5GB), WD RE4 500GB/ Seagate Brcda 500GB, M-audio 2496 "Audiophile" MIDI/SC, Win 7 Ult 64] < Today's cost in the US- about $900 or £600.

g-unit1111

Titan
Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Server Processor BX80637E31230V2 $239.99

ASUS P8B-X LGA 1155 Intel C202 ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard $189.99

I personally would not bother purchasing server hardware. An i7 would be a better fit for this build because of hyper threading.

Can you spot anything here that wouldn't be compatible with the overall system?
Does anyone have any specific recommendations on specific RAM, PSU and HDD models?
I plan to overclock the system a little, while keeping it quiet. Will the quiet case, fanless GPU and PSU cause the system to get too hot?
Of the specific models I've listed, is there something providing similar functionality for a lower price?
I've heard that an SSD boot disk improves boot times, which I'm not really fussed about. However, if it also boosts the overall speed significantly then I would be interested - thoughts?
The two graphics card options - I will be doing literally no gaming and disable all fancy graphics on Windows. Would there be any other reason to get the more expensive 7750? I would be watching some HD video - how would the 6450 handle that?
Is there anything in here which seems unnecessary for my requirements?

To answer your questions:

1. Intel motherboards are extremely terrible. They lack modern BIOS, ability to handle RAM speeds over 1333 MHz, and lack a lot of other modern necessities. The Z68 boards are much better but you really shouldn't pay money for old hardware. I don't know how much you will benefit from overclocking.

You should be buying this for your motherboard and CPU:

Motherboard: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-p8z77-v-pro-thunderbolt-intel-z77-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-raid-pcie-30-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-wifi-a
CPU: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i7-3770k-s1155-ivy-bridge-quad-core-35ghz-5-gt-s-dmi-650mhz-gpu-8mb-smart-cache-35x-ratio
Cooler: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-a

If you need Firewire the only thing I can tell you to do is get an add in card like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/scanfx-5-port-usb2-and-3-port-firewire-1394a-pci-card-via-chipset-plus-12v-power-input-support

2. RAM: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-(2x8gb)-corsair-ddr3-vengeance-low-profile-cerulean-blue-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-10-10-10-
PSU: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-corsair-enthusiast-series-650txv2uk-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-quiet-fan-atx-v

As for hard drive do you plan to run an SSD or not? That will change recommendations drastically.

3. No. I suggest reading this about setting up your system's air flow: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

4. See recommendations above.

5. Yes - in addition to performing tasks at lightning speed, any good SSD will also improve the read write times drastically. I can accomplish tasks in Adobe in like 1/3 of the time it takes on an SSD vs. a mechanical HD. Here's a good suggestion: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-samsung-840-pro-basic-25-ssd-3-core-mdx-toggle-nand-read-530mb-s-write-390mb-s-256mb-cache-97k

OR:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128gb-ocz-vector-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-indilinx-barefoot-mlc-flash-read-550mb-s-write-400mb-s-95k-io

5. Yeah a 7750 should be able to handle basic tasks no problem. Alternately consider a GTX 650 if you need HDMI.

6. The only thing I would suggest is that Firewire is being phased out in favor of Thunderbolt. Which is why I suggest a board like the Asus one I linked to. I would also recommend not buying two generation old hardware - OR server hardware. Get the best CPU you can get for your budget - in this case it's the i7 3770K. Or the standard i7 3770 if you don't plan on overclocking.

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks, I didn't realise that PSUs with a fan could still be mostly silent. That could save a lot of money. How about the even cheaper ones? I see this one on eBay at £44 incl. postage http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/450W-be-quiet-System-Power-S6-BN090-87-Eff-80-PLUS-Fan-ATX-PSU-/360600530391?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item53f5776dd7 or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/430W-be-quiet-Pure-Power-L8-BN180-Modular-88-Eff-80-PLUS-Bronze-SLI-Cross-/360600530264?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item53f5776d58

Would these still be pretty quiet and able to power everything properly?

Fractal R3 looks good but seems pricey. Your suggestion about the cooler made me investigate more, now I'm thinking a bigger fan might be better - Noctua seems pricey too but perhaps a 140mm thermalright macho. Which would be better out of these two - similar price but the noctua is low profile designed for smaller systems - does that mean more noise/less cooling?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noctua-NH-L9i-Low-Profile-Quiet-CPU-Cooler-Intel-LGA1150-1155-1156-/130860628923?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1e77e6bbbb
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thermalright-HR-02-Macho-Rev-A-CPU-Cooler-inc-140mm-Silent-Fan-For-775-1155-1156-/121076169619?pt=Computing_ComputerComponents_Fans_Heatsinks_SR&hash=item1c30b3bb93

The firewire thing is absolutely essential, it MUST be Texas Instruments chipset and it MUST be on the motherboard. There are too many issues with incompatibility and, while firewire is on the way out on a consumer level, in audio it is very much here to stay. The hub of my setup is a firewire audio interface and it is not guaranteed to work with anything other than a motherboard-based TI firewire chip. This limits options as most motherboards with onboard FW have VIA or Ricoh FW chipsets, which cause issues with FW audio interfaces.

I have no concerns about future-proof equipment. I have audio hardware that is very robust and links up using firewire and USB, does the job I require of it and I will most likely never replace. The computer will never be used to interface with other consumer electronics.

I do use software that takes up a lot of CPU and RAM - for bambiboom's information this is lexicon reverbs, pitch correction/harmonisation plugins, omnisphere, DIVA, large Kontakt sample libraries and a lot of creative effects in multiple instances.

My budget is a maximum of £700. Really the maximum is £600 but I'm not sure that will happen.

How would having an SSD drive affect other recommendations?

Audio Computer Build

Jack Mackenzie,

Thank you for clarifying your needs and applications used .

I too was stumped when I tried Firewire about 5 years ago and discovered, as you have, the necessity for using the Texas Instruments chipset. I did find a TI PCI card but ended up never using Firewire, and made do with a simple PCI card, the M-Audio 2496 “Audiophile” with MIDI. I recorded either from a Peavey VMP2 valve microphone preamplifier (Oktava 012's) or directly through MIDI from a Yamaha S90. Very good results for an inexpensive card and in my 5 current computers I use 3 of these. I tried the HP recording computer with an EMU 0404, but it was problematic.

Good news for once, I’ve found a motherboard with an onboard TI Firewire chipset (TSB43AB23) and 3X onboard Firewire ports. SEE >

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3417#sp

> and this is specified as > "3 IEEE 1394a ports (2 on the back panel, 1 via the IEEE 1394a bracket connected to the internal IEEE 1394a header". I presume the internal port is to be wired to a case front Firewire connector.

The above listed board is an AM3+ CPU socket. I’d read that the Gigabyte UD5's has the TI chipset, but all the boards I looked at with the LGA 1155 socket had, yes- VIA chipsets. Currently, only the AMD version has the TI chipset . I could of course be missing the variant with both LGA 1155 and the onboard TI Firewire- I have no idea why the AMD and Intel versions would differ in that way.

Still, AMD CPUs are generally less dear than Intel and learning you are using Lexicon reverb and piles of other effects- which do take a fast CPU and can use multiple cores, you might consider a fast. 8-core AMD .

I had another go, (prices from Newegg ) >

1. AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX $199.99
a. Using the AMD CPU is not a detriment either-it’s good value as the 8-core listed is 4.0 GHz /4.2 Turbo and costs about $200 while a 4-core 3.5 GHZ i7-37770k costs $329. I do wish the AMD CPU had more cache .
b. This CPU includes a fan and heatsink. Presumably as this is made for this CPU it should be adequate and that would save another few quid. However, I would want to be extremely confident of the cooling
c. Optionally > Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler $79.99 > Rated as very quiet, efficient, and large!

2. GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 V 2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $164.99
a. The Version 2 has the famous TI Firewire chipset, and good complement of slots. Note > V1.1 has VIA Firewire!
b. To me this board looks a bit cramped for space, but I didn’t see user complaints.

3. Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $174.99
a. For budgetary reasons, the HD is reduced to a single 6GB/s mechanical drive. I would partition this with a ~140GB OS/Applications partition and perhaps three other partitions for documents, images, etc, and active and archived sound/ video files. Later, if necessary for performance, a separate SSD could be arranged for the OS/Programs, and/or a 2nd drive like this one for RAID backup.

4. Team Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TXD316G1600HC9DC-V $89.99
a. The motherboard is dual channel and supports 32GB
b. This could be substituted with 1866 speed for about an additional $30.

5. ZOTAC Synergy ZT-60403-10L GeForce GT 630 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $69.99
a. This Zotac Geforce was chosen as it has 2X DVI ports instead of the usual dog's dinner of one of each connector. This would be easier for a future using 2 equal monitors.
b. Notice 126 bit and 2GB memory

6. PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk III Series 600W Modular Power Supply features 100% Japanese 105°C rated Capacitors $109.99
a. This series has been reviewed as one of the quietest PS's.

7. LIAN LI PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $109.99
a. Rated as very quiet - Aluminium cases- while more costly are oftentimes quieter. I like the unadorned, blockiness of this type- not a distracting Transformer toy.
b. Optionally > LIAN LI PC-A75 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $181.99 > Much roomier! Good for adding drives and for airflow.

8. 2X ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM 2 X $19.99 $35.98

Subtotal: $809.90 or £536.64

Prices in the UK are higher plus VAT and with those factored in, it’s not a million oatcakes away from your budget. Capable of expansion/ upgrade and probably quite a good performer.

I would be interested to know what recording interface you're using. I've been thinking for awhile of a USB MOTU Express or 828.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Audio Computer Build

Jack Mackenzie,

Additionally to the above. I’ve found that there is an Intel LGA 1155 / P67 motherboard with the onboard TI Firewire chipset (TSB43AB23) and 3X onboard Firewire ports. This is the
GA-P67A-UD5 (rev. 1.0)

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3647#sp

The problem is, this is a 2010 MB and no one has them in stock.

These do come up on eBay though >

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIGABYTE-GA-P67A-UD5-B3-LGA-1155-Intel-P67-SATA-6Gb-s-UNOPENED-/300868817989?pt=Motherboards&hash=item460d2dd445

The GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.1) is for 22nm LGA 1155 , but of course has the dreaded VIA chipset >

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4440#sp

It’s very strange! Still, if you are not fond of AMD CPU's for example, it may be worth contacting Gigabyte and enquiring whether they have any current Intel motherboards with the TI chipset.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

g-unit1111

Titan

Interesting. What kind of hardware do you plan to use with your PC and why is it so problematic if you use something other than TI hardware?

I have no concerns about future-proof equipment. I have audio hardware that is very robust and links up using firewire and USB, does the job I require of it and I will most likely never replace. The computer will never be used to interface with other consumer electronics.

I always say future proofing is a moot point but IMO you should never pay money for a new build with old hardware. It will ensure a longer life for your system in general - not just for software, but for everything else.

I do use software that takes up a lot of CPU and RAM - for bambiboom's information this is lexicon reverbs, pitch correction/harmonisation plugins, omnisphere, DIVA, large Kontakt sample libraries and a lot of creative effects in multiple instances.

My budget is a maximum of £700. Really the maximum is £600 but I'm not sure that will happen.

Yeah but AMD CPUs are relatively weak compared to Intel for anything other than casual gaming and video editing. If you're going to do full on audio production, go Intel. There's no reason to invest in AMD FX.

How would having an SSD drive affect other recommendations?

It really wouldn't. You can always add one in later.

5. ZOTAC Synergy ZT-60403-10L GeForce GT 630 2GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card $69.99
a. This Zotac Geforce was chosen as it has 2X DVI ports instead of the usual dog's dinner of one of each connector. This would be easier for a future using 2 equal monitors.
b. Notice 126 bit and 2GB memory

The GT630 is an extremely crappy low end GPU. Even if all you're doing is basic tasks this will completely bottleneck your system. Bad recommendation. A Radeon 7750 would be a far better investment - especially if you plan to use HDMI.

New build audio computer

g-unit1111,

Having been around friends' Firewire audio components- and tried one, I can sympathsize with JM's insistence on having the onboard TI Firefire chipset. After a complete failure with a Firewire device- a lower end recording interface, I was told that only the TI chipset would work. I bought a PCI card with the TI chip and that wouldn't work- and then learned the chip had to be on the motherboard. Of course, I returned the Firewire interface as I wasn't about to change the $2,100 computer only to use the $250 interface. JM's situation is the converse to mine- which JM repeats- is that it's less expensive to find a motherboard with the onboard TI chipset than to to change the Firewire gear. If JM is using a Lexicon Firewire reverb module, that may have cost twice the budget for the new computer. I remember in the late '90's when those cost $2,500. (I'm a cheapskate and use the very best software reverb that is packaged with my recording software. )

As for AMD CPU's, I am definitely in the Intel camp and would rather JM use a 6-core Xeon, ECC RAM,and RAID 1, but "6-core Xeon" is alone at least a $600 term. The thing to remember about this project is that it's not a gaming machine, but rather more akin to a workstation with quite different performance parameters and therefore cost priorities. It's inescapable to incorporate the repeated assertion of the budget and the AMD 8-core has a far better performance/cost ratio than an i7. The 8-core 4GHz 8350 costs $200 and scores 9159 on the Passmark benchmark, ranked #41. The i7-3770K is four cores at 3.5GHz scores 9631 and is #30. That's 5% better performance for the i7, but with a slightly lower clock speed and, importantly, four less cores that can be used to multi-thread the effects. Think of the audio effects as multi-threading similarly to CAD rendering. Importantly, the i7 costs $325 or about 65% more. Again, this is partly a budget question- the cost differential, but it's also potentially more or less a deal breaker as it appears that the only currently available motherboard with the absolutely required TI chipset is the Gigabyte with AM3+ socket. There are the NOS 2010 Intel CPU boards on eBay with the TI, so that's a possibility- except giving up the 4 cores while paying 65% more for a 5% CPU benchmark improvement is not providing any important benefit.

As for the graphics card, HD audio recording software is very basic graphically- nothing like video games. This does not require powerful graphics with high frame rates- it is steady state 2D, and the higher end the software the more it graphically resembles the DOS screen when fussing with BIOS settings. A lower end graphics card will not create a system "bottleneck". A friend that professionally produces CD's uses some grotty 256 or 512MB Radeon of the last Century- but also has $50,000 in microphones. The Zotac GeForce card suggested was purely for reasons of there being very few graphics cards at that cost/performance point with 2X DVI output. If JM would use two monitors in the future they would be two of the same monitor. The reason for this is the same as for multi-monitor CAD- not all but for many tasks, there needs a continuity of scale and object position across the two monitors. For example, the size and position of the tracks' waveforms and so many graphic controls has to be uniform at a glance to make fast comparisons. Also, when editing recordings, the sound will be heard through a specialized monitoring system, whether loudspeakers or headphones, not through HDMI to the video monitor speakers. I always use full isolation headphones as this makes it easier to hear recording artifacts, edit tics, and the compression/limiter actions in detail.

Good discussion!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

g-unit1111

Titan
Having been around friends' Firewire audio components- and tried one, I can sympathsize with JM's insistence on having the onboard TI Firefire chipset. After a complete failure with a Firewire device- a lower end recording interface, I was told that only the TI chipset would work. I bought a PCI card with the TI chip and that wouldn't work- and then learned the chip had to be on the motherboard. Of course, I returned the Firewire interface as I wasn't about to change the $2,100 computer only to use the $250 interface. JM's situation is the converse to mine- which JM repeats- is that it's less expensive to find a motherboard with the onboard TI chipset than to to change the Firewire gear. If JM is using a Lexicon Firewire reverb module, that may have cost twice the budget for the new computer. I remember in the late '90's when those cost $2,500. (I'm a cheapskate and use the very best software reverb that is packaged with my recording software. )

Interesting, I'm really curious about this as I've only ever built in addition to gaming rigs - CAD/rendering rigs. I've never done anything for audio production which is why I was wondering about the hardware malfunctioning on anything but a TI chipset.

As for AMD CPU's, I am definitely in the Intel camp and would rather JM use a 6-core Xeon, ECC RAM,and RAID 1, but "6-core Xeon" is alone at least a $600 term. The thing to remember about this project is that it's not a gaming machine, but rather more akin to a workstation with quite different performance parameters and therefore cost priorities.

Yeah a six core Xeon - especially a full 4U / 6U server build - certainly isn't cheap. I've looked into building one and it would cost in US dollars at least $3K for any decent setup.

There are the NOS 2010 Intel CPU boards on eBay with the TI, so that's a possibility- except giving up the 4 cores while paying 65% more for a 5% CPU benchmark improvement is not providing any important benefit.

I'd be really skeptical about buying boards off eBay. Yeah there's not much different in performance improvement between CPUs.

A friend that professionally produces CD's uses some grotty 256 or 512MB Radeon of the last Century- but also has $50,000 in microphones.

$50K in microphones? :ouch:

For example, the size and position of the tracks' waveforms and so many graphic controls has to be uniform at a glance to make fast comparisons. Also, when editing recordings, the sound will be heard through a specialized monitoring system, whether loudspeakers or headphones, not through HDMI to the video monitor speakers. I always use full isolation headphones as this makes it easier to hear recording artifacts, edit tics, and the compression/limiter actions in detail.

OK that makes sense. I know audio production is a lot of attention to detail, as is rendering.

g-unit1111,

Interesting, I'm really curious about this as I've only ever built in addition to gaming rigs - CAD/rendering rigs. I've never done anything for audio production which is why I was wondering about the hardware malfunctioning on anything but a TI chipset.

When I had my rounds with Firewire a few years ago- and lost, it was a complete mystery- no one ever explained, my friends in the recording world- half of Los Angeles it seemed- only said , "Oh yeah, you have to use TI." It bothered me that I never understood why the TI chipset had this magic compatibility and the others didn't work at all. It was as though there was the Society of the Seven Firewire Secrets that could never be divulged to the infidels. When this thread appeared, I began hoping Mr. Mackenzie might tell us! He may be sworn to secrecy too though,..

Yeah a six core Xeon - especially a full 4U / 6U server build - certainly isn't cheap. I've looked into building one and it would cost in US dollars at least $3K for any decent setup.

With the economy in it's current state for architects, I can only fuss with the ol' banger Precision T5400 a bit and dream. I've become interested lately in the new world of personal supercomputing , which uses a multi-CPU Xeon workstation platform and strings NVIDIA Tesla GPU co-processors, amazingly fast RAID controller and so on. We're going to see some serious devices! As a builder of CAD stations, you'll appreciate this idea for the office>

1. 2X Intel Xeon E5-2687W Sandy Bridge-EP 3.1GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 150W 8-Core Server Processor BX80621E52687W $3,869.98 ($1,934.99 each)

2. SUPERMICRO MBD-X9DRH-7TF-O Extended ATX Server Motherboard Dual LGA 2011 DDR3 1600/1333/1066/800 $709.99 > this motherboard can use 512GB of RAM and there are Tyan 8 CPU boards that take 768 and 1024GB ! I'm suggesting a modest 256GB,..

3. 2X CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Water Cooler $259.98 ($129.99 each

4. 4X Wintec Server Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ECC Registered Server Memory Model 3RSH160011R5H-64GQ $2,239.96 ($559.99 each)

5. NVIDIA® Quadro® K5000 for Mac VCQK5000MAC-PB 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 SLI Supported Workstation Video Card $1,699.99

6. 3X NVIDIA TESLA K20 (900-22081-2220-000) GK110 5GB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card $10,499.97 ($3,499.99 each)

7. LSI MegaRAID Internal Low-Power SATA/SAS 9260-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 w/ 512MB onboard memory RAID Controller Card, Single $498.99

8. 3X OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0230 PCI-E 230GB 4 x PCI Express MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $689.97 ($229.99 each) > These PCIe RevoDrives have just amazing performance- call it "data direct injection"

9. 8X Western Digital RE WD2001FYYG 2TB 7200 RPM SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $1,373.94 ($228.99 each)

10. LIAN LI PC-D8000 Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case $331.99

11. Thermaltake Toughpower XT TPX-1475M 1475W ATX 12V 2.3 & SSI EPS 12V 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply $329.99

Subtotal: $22,504.75

I was curious as to what parts would be likely to end up in a medium capability personal supercomputer- and what it might cost,.. Of course, this is a cost no object fantasy machine, but $20K-30K is the current common range prices makers of these ask.

In the real world, a really good 3D CAD /engineering workstation could be done in the $3,000 range you mention. I'd start with one of my current favorite pieces, the 6- core Xeon E5-1650 @3.2- which is "only" $600.

I'd be really skeptical about buying boards off eBay. Yeah there's not much different in performance improvement between CPUs.

That was my thought too, especially as that was a 2010 design. One seller was running a "slightly bent pin" special- nasty!

$50K in microphones? :ouch:

That was one of the shocks as I got more involved in recording- good microphones are just stupidly expensive and studios have to have on hand a "pallette" of flavors. In L.A. Schoeps are a big favorite as are Neumann U87's- as you say :eek:uch ! U87's are over $3,500 now. Many recording artists- especially vocalists, will only record on the mics they believe make their voices sound the best. When I had a radio program, I always used a U89 while another announcer liked an Audio Technica.

For example, the size and position of the tracks' waveforms and so many graphic controls has to be uniform at a glance to make fast comparisons. Also, when editing recordings, the sound will be heard through a specialized monitoring system, whether loudspeakers or headphones, not through HDMI to the video monitor speakers. I always use full isolation headphones as this makes it easier to hear recording artifacts, edit tics, and the compression/limiter actions in detail.

OK that makes sense. I know audio production is a lot of attention to detail, as is rendering.

Yes- exactly, I keep thinking of HDisk sound recording gear as being more like a CAD workstation except the detail accuracy, resolution, and the manipulations are focused on waveforms instead of images.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
So... much... information... this will take me a while to get my head around, but thanks for getting so in depth about it guys! Unfortunately I'm on a relatively limited timescale with this build so may have to just plump for something before I fully understand.

I have no idea why, but other FW chips cause dropouts in the audio which totally ruin the point of having a decent audio interface, speakers and effects, and can crash the system in extreme cases. Such a hassle. Equally, plugging a PCIe TI firewire in is still not guaranteed to work, because of the way motherboards interface with the card. It's ridiculous. No one really knows whether this is the problem of the FW or the soundcard manufacturers. USB audio works fine, however it isn't as fast and the drivers tend to be more poorly scripted. I know the USB interface I had previously had AWFUL drivers that munched almost a full core.

Interesting that the AMD has higher performance/cost ratio, I've seen other people slating them compared to similarly priced Intel chips - seems more a religious thing than factual! (You get a hell of a lot of this in audio production) Worth further investigation.

Yep, replacing the FW audio boxes I use would not be cheap, only other option would be to go PCI with the RME Multiface, which is where things start getting very expensive.

I do occasionally do video tutorials so I probably would need a graphics card with a small amount of bite just to avoid waiting around for ages between small edits - but this is a very rare occurrence!

$50000 in microphones - that's a recording enthusiast for you! Luckily I work mainly solo 'in the box' (computer-based composition) so don't need to record that many live instruments, just some synths and guitar which I plug directly into the soundcard. That said, I've never counted up the total value of the hardware+software I use but it probably runs near that figure!

So you guys are going really heavy on the new equipment angle, would this deliver similar bang-for-buck, as in, a £100 new motherboard vs a motherboard that was more expensive in 2011 but now sells at £100 BNIB?

Glad to see that computer advice attracts the same level of geekery as music equipment advice does, sometimes I think I enjoy talking over the options more than the product itself!

Jack Mackenzie,

Yes...much...geekosities...but an example of necessary geekoid actions- the damnicious Firewire.

When Firewire audio peripherals first began burning a hole in USB, I was very interested as it promised quite a bit greater bandwirdth and transfer speed. However, as mentioned, I tried it, albeit at the lower end of the scale and came across the mysterious TI chipset requirement and the Five Firewire Fictions Foundation that protected the public from ever knowing why. I started, and stayed with, internal card interfaces.

BTW, the GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.3) Intel MB you mentioned at the start has the VIA FW >

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3978#sp

AMD CPU> While I have a Dell Optiplex 740 with an AMD CPU [ Athlon X2 64 6000+ dual core @ 3.0GHz] that works very well, I have been Intel focused for so long- falling into the Xeon crowd, I've not followed AMD closely. As the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 V 2.0 is the only current MB I could find with the TI IEEE1394, I then stumbled over the AMD 8350 and found it was not only higher speed- 4.0/4.2 but had 8 cores and only 5% off the i7-3770K performance for £82 less.

By this accident I might occasionally join AMD prayer meetings. As you say, that strange rivalry between Intel and AMD- which can be very intense in the NVIDIA vs. AMD and Geforce vs. Radeon / Quadro vs. Firepro geek-o-ramas, does have an aspect of religiosity. It reminds me too of football fans- blind faith that their team is top of the first division no matter what the scores are. Still, the numbers can't be lying (And see last paragraph this post!). I don't know, are Firepros so named because of catching fire?

On the subject of graphics cards, yes, if you're doing even a bit of video editing, something of a higher order would be advisable, something 384 or 512-bit and with more memory and CUDA cores. I am an advocate of used graphics cards and you might consider a used GTX 580 3GB or a GTX 285 2GB. I had a used 1GB GTX 285 for awhile- about 2 years- for CAD and it is 512-bit, has 240 cores, worked well and was not expensive used. I only changed- to Quadro FX 4800 because of eccentric behavior in Solidworks and Sketchup and so I could use 128X anti-aliasing.

$50,000 in microphones > Yes, it seems a lot, but my friend, who has a small production studio in Van Nuys, California claims he needs esoteric mics allsorts and cult items- vintage Neumann KM 84, Royer ribbons, various valve microphones, AKG C12 ($6,000), Schoeps (usually $2,000- $3,000 ), Manley Reference Gold- ($7,000) because his clients are almost superstitious about a certain microphone suiting them best. These seem to represent some kind of "comfort microphones", and make a hole in the budget requiring barrows of brass to fill. I have only a lonely pair of Oktava 012's- supposedly Russian copies of KM84's!- and that are used for piano, harpsichord, and clavichord with a Peavey VMP2 valve preamplifier/EQ. These days, I mostly use a Yamaha S90 with Garritan virtual Steinway D and Hauptwerk virtual organ software for improvisations. But, yes, audio today forces us to become delve into the nature of geekabytes. Actually, I don't mind, because digital sound constantly improves and is so amazingly easy to get reasonable results. The very low noise floor and ease of editing, and publishing to CD is worth the fuss. When I listen to music though, it is most often vinyl LP and through an all-valve system [Oracle Delphi III w. SME V arm / McIntosh MR 67 tuner, Audio Research SP10 (preamplifier) , Audio Research D115 (power amplifier), Vandersteen 2C speakers] With the tuner going, I am using 72 valves of which probably 40 haven't been made for 30 years! < How's that for geekonomics?

"New equipment angle" > You ask about the advisability of, "a £100 new motherboard vs a motherboard that was more expensive in 2011 but now sells at £100 BNIB?". Is that a general question or have you found something specific? Can you provide a link to model number or the sales listing? In general, I would say, if the motherboard has never been removed from the original, sealed anti-static bag, and has all the original pieces, it could be a fine choice. Something came up in this thread about Intel motherboards, with the comment that Intel is getting out of that business. That may be a risk several years away as there will not be BIOS updates, but Intel boards are reputed to be quite high quality. Also, Intel, along with Samsung, make among the most trustworthy SSD's. However, if the board in question has ever been out of the bag, it may have been a dud in some way > dead RAM or PCIe slot, or ruined with bent socket pins or by static discharge, etc. If the seller has a pile of the same, that's a better sign than if it's one found at the bottom of the cupboard, but I would ask about their history carefully and in detail.

I am actually an advocate of buying used, high quality computers that be tuned gradually to a reliable high middle of performance. For one thing, it's much less expensive than new- my three year old $500 Dell Precision T5400 cost more than $5,000 three yeas before, and is beautifully made- with a very heavy case/chassis that is very quiet. It's never missed a beat, performed very well. As I've inensified use toward large 3D models, 6,000 part assemblies, and rendering, I've improved it for about $500 > a Western Digital RE4 500GB ($90), to 16GB of RAM (+ 12GB, $150), a Quadro FX 4800 1.5GB graphics card ( $1,200 new, $150 to me) ,and a 2nd CPU /heatsink, a Xeon X5460 ($1,300 new, $100 to me). By the way, the T5400 new could be purchased with 2 Firewire ports- 1 front, 1 rear- using a TI chipset on a PCI card, but mine doesn't have that option.

The point is, with some research and careful shopping, you might find a used computer, ready to use much faster than researching, collecting the bits, assembly, configuring, solving compatibility problems, and so on, and all for less money. But, the new one is likely to be much faster. >

On the Passmark Performance Test, my T5400 makes an overall rating of 1909- high marks for CPU- 8400 and quite good 2D=512 and fair 3D=924, but the memory=732 and disk=942- very ordinary. In comparison, the one baseline listing for > "AMD 8350 8-core + Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5", with 16GB RAM, a Radeon HD 7950 and Corsair Force GS SSD is > Rating= 3193, CPU= 9354, 2D=520, 3D=4411, Memory=1460, Disk= 2820. The high memory and disk scores are important as music files are much, much larger than for example the CAD models I deal with. That machine is using a higher end graphics card -$300+ and the Corsair SSD starts at $130 for 128GB, but again we have very good geekarific numbers that are not costing a lot of £££ numbers! Earlier, I stated the numbers are not lying, so from the cost / performance perspective I should jack up the T5400 and put a new AMD 8350 underneath!

Sorry- much... more...geekatistics!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

g-unit1111

Titan

That's the thing, I've never worked with audio production builds so I had no idea that the audio production equipment was that picky when it came to interfaces so I'm just getting ideas.

With the economy in it's current state for architects, I can only fuss with the ol' banger Precision T5400 a bit and dream. I've become interested lately in the new world of personal supercomputing , which uses a multi-CPU Xeon workstation platform and strings NVIDIA Tesla GPU co-processors, amazingly fast RAID controller and so on. We're going to see some serious devices! As a builder of CAD stations, you'll appreciate this idea for the office>

Somehow I doubt my accounts payable department would enjoy the idea of spending $22K on a single workstation for a company of 50 people but I like that build. :lol:

Interesting that the AMD has higher performance/cost ratio, I've seen other people slating them compared to similarly priced Intel chips - seems more a religious thing than factual! (You get a hell of a lot of this in audio production) Worth further investigation.

I'm definitely not a loyalist to any particular brand. I've owned Intel rigs and AMD rigs, I've owned AMD / ATI GPUs (my current rig runs dual 7870 GHz editions) and I've owned NVIDIA GPUs. I go with whatever offers the best price / performance ratio and whatever the benchmarks say is the fastest on whichever part I recommend.

Glad to see that computer advice attracts the same level of geekery as music equipment advice does, sometimes I think I enjoy talking over the options more than the product itself!

Oh it does! :lol:

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Thanks a lot for all the discussion guys. I read through everything carefully and in the end I think I got a good compromise between old/affordable and good enough for my requirements. I sold some old music equipment on eBay to increase my budget a little. Here's what I went for:

Case: Fractal Design Define R3

Thanks for the recommendation, looks sweet!

MoBo: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H

I found out that if the motherboard has no firewire (like this one), there is no problem with using PCI cards with the TI chipset. The problem is when there's some other FW chipset on board, then you get conflicts. Seems illogical, but apparently it is so! And this one lets you overclock (which I just want to dip my toes into) and take advantage of onboard graphics. So I bought this and a separate TI firewire PCI card.

CPU: i7 3770K - Wanted the better on board graphics, slight speed improvement and newer date of manufacture

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 + Crucial 128 GB SSD

PSU: 420W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 RS420-SPM2E3

RAM: 16GB Komputerbay 1600 - cheap and cheerful, apparently it's Samsung chips rebranded, people say it's good enough, fingers crossed!

Firewire card: SIIG PCIe 2 port - Officially recommended by all the Audio card manufacturers so it must be right! I'm praying!

Haven't bought a graphics card, optical drive or a separate CPU cooler, I'm gonna go with stock and on board and see how I get on for a month or so. If I need more graphics punch I will go for the ASUS silent Radeon 7750 and if the intel cpu cooler is too loud... well... I'll do some more research!

Should be building at some point towards the end of next week so will give a performance report when it's all done.

If anyone spots anything incompatible here please let me know ASAP but I've checked pretty thoroughly I think!

Cheers

Jack

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
MoBo, FW, HDD, PSU all arrived today, plus a nice 27" monitor. Dragging myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century, one component at a time! Also decided to go for the cheapest LiteOn internal Blu Ray player, i have a separate usb dvd burner and will almost never need to burn to disk, but would like to watch the occasional blu ray film with sound through my awesome speakers.

g-unit1111

Titan
I found out that if the motherboard has no firewire (like this one), there is no problem with using PCI cards with the TI chipset. The problem is when there's some other FW chipset on board, then you get conflicts. Seems illogical, but apparently it is so! And this one lets you overclock (which I just want to dip my toes into) and take advantage of onboard graphics. So I bought this and a separate TI firewire PCI card.

I thought so but if that's what you make money off of, I wouldn't take any chances. :lol:

PSU: 420W Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 RS420-SPM2E3

Cooler Master PSUs have a horrendous reputation (liar labels, fake certifications, and things of that nature). Better would be to get this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w-seasonic-bronze-s12ii-520-85-eff-80-plus-bronze-eps-12v-120mm-silent-fan-atx-v23-psu

Jack Mackenzie,

Your solution looks very promising- the i7-3770K is a good one, the Intel 4000 integrated graphics is perfect for this use- while a bit of a layabout in 3D it's very good in 2D, you have plenty of RAM, and the SSD OS and Applications / fast 1TB mechanical drive for sound files is a good combination. The case should be quiet and is not distracting looking- my preference is for the undecorative cases. That case too, is made to stack up the additional HD's there's and use RAID 1 on the board if you wish. The fact you can use a Firewire card is good too- with the Gigabyte board, you could have a graphics card in the X16 slot and there's still 2- PCIe X1 plus the PCIe x4 so you're able to add three Firewire cards if needed.

Well done!

For reference might we know the final cost? Also, I'd be interested to know the recording,editing software and various hardware used.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Yep I'm pretty pleased with the selection of components. The cost of each component was as follows:

Fractal Design Define R3: £50
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H MoBo: £100
i7 3770K: £265
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 + Crucial 128 GB SSD: £127
Cooler Master Silent Pro PSU: £50
16GB Komputerbay RAM: £65
Firewire card: £20
Optical drive: £30

Total cost: £707 - just over budget and with £300 of ebay sales and a few more on the horizon, well within!

Hardware used:

Audio interface: M-Audio Profire 610 (downgraded from the bigger version as I no longer record many live instruments)
Monitors (speakers): 2x Mackie HR824
Headphones: BeyerDynamic DT990Pro & Klipsch S4
Microphones: Rode M3 and NT1A (again, sold the nicer 'vintage'/expensive ones a while ago - these do the job just fine for my purposes)
Midi controllers: Behringer BCR2000 (the one amazing piece of kit that Behringer does!), Korg padKontrol and nanoKontrol, Roland RD-700SX keyboard (for piano practice as well as composition, wouldn't recommend it unless you're a pianist who needs a 'realistic' feel when practicing)
Some vintage Boss digital effects

Fender custom telecaster
Acoustic guitars
Clarinet, melodica, marimba, harp, god knows what other random instruments!

Software used:

Reaper
Native Instruments Komplete bundle
Galaxy Pianos
EWQL Symphonic Orchestra and some other more RAM-hungry orchestral instrument libraries like LASS
RealGuitar/RealStrat/RealLPC
U-He DIVA
D16 LusH-101
Lexicon PCM Native reverbs
Sonalksis studio effects
SoundToys creative effects
Slate Digital FG-X

Can't think what else off the top of my head, I'm away from home for a few days but that's pretty much the core of my setup. An expensive little endeavour, thank god I've got a good teaching job to keep me afloat!

Jack Mackenzie

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
A long time now since I got all this stuff. The system is absolutely ripping it up and this means that I can do large-scale orchestral work without it breaking a sweat. The RAM is completely fine, though I seem to be one of the lucky ones with this particular type - apparently Komputerbay RAM is basically stuff that other companies rejected because it didn't pass testing! I've yet to try overclocking it as it seems unnecessary at the moment. Firewire card is working a treat, basically I couldn't be happier with my purchases, so thanks a lot to those who contributed their advice!