Getting a new system, would like some advice and opinions

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hello peeps. I am currently looking for a new long lasting system. I have already looked at some components and made my choice for the most part but would like some advice and opinions. this is what i planned to get:

AsRocK 970 Extreme3 Socket AM3+

Seasonic SS-650HT 650W bulk

HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3

Procesor AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz 8-core Socket AM3+ Box

Memorie Kingston Beast Series 32GB Kit 4x8GB DDR3 2133MHz CL11

Placa Video Sapphire Radeon HD7850 Dual-X 2GB DDR5 256-bit

Thermaltake Versa II

The main purpose was to get a well built rig to last me around 5 years at least without major changes down the line (at most replacing the graphics card or motherboard if they fry).

It will be used for gaming, programming, running some virtual machines with Sharepoint 2013 (for work), 3D movies (once i get a 3D TV/Monitor) and generally all other things. The reason for so much RAM is because i will be running several virtual machines at the same time and generally several applications running in parallel. I know the Intel i7 processors are faster on a 1 to 1 basis compared to AMD but they are also a lot more expensive and in the years to come apps and games in general will move towards using more cores rather than using one or 2 super fast ones.

My main concern is if the graphics card is worth it since from my experience graphics cards tend to have around 3-4 years of life time and wouldn't want to pay so much for one if it will not last. The cheaper alternative would be Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 OC 2GB DDR5 128bit PCIe but i am not sure how much of a performance difference there is. Also the first choice was made for the 4k resolution. Currently i can't afford a monitor or tv with 4k display but they will get cheaper in 1-2 years.

My second concern is if any of the components would bottleneck the performance of the others particularly if the 2 graphics card choices would run at full performance on the motherboard due to the slot restrictions (PCI Express 1.0 vs 2.0 vs 3.0)

I won't give a link to the shop as i am not from the USA so i doubt anyone would know it.

Any advice would be welcomed and any alternative components are welcome as long as the system stays within a similar price range.

Forgot to mention i intend to buy this week however if there is something worth waiting for i can put it off as it is not an extreme emergency.

EDIT: Added the case and changed the PSU since i plan on getting a liquid cooler sometime in the future to OC the fx-8350 to 5 GHz and combined with all the room for fans in the case i should get some good airflow and OC the graphics card a bit as well.

redheat2010

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
In case u want a future proof go for i53570K with Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Graphics card is good for the purpose But recommended is hd 7950 or if u can pay more go for 670
8gb 1600mhz will be sufficient no major change between the memory sticks as u just gain 1to2% of better performance in fps
For AMD u can go with AMD FX 6300 with sabertooth

Datcu Alexandru

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

why would i go for a 4 core i5-3570K? ive seen test results and its clearly slower than an FX-8350. If you overcloak an FX-8350 it actually competes with a 6 core i7 and barely loses in a few categories by a very small margin.

as far as ram goes i want 32 gigs for multiple machine running. When i game i plan on having around 5 or more VMs where i either have work stuff in the background or automated things for games (think bots without intruding on game code and/or memory). i know currently 1600 MHz for ram is good enough but im thinking 3-4 years from now i dont want to replace my ram with a 2400 MHz because of a new high end game with high load on texture loading for example.

the hd 7950 definitely looks nice but the extra money isn't worth the small gain in performance especially if im gona replace it in 4 years at least in my opinion.

You might want a better gpu if you're going to be running that many machines.
The FX-8350 can actually compete with the i5-3570k while being cheaper on both the processor and motherboard.
Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu8Sekdb-IE
The FX-8350 is also more future-proof than the i5 since it has 8cores and the steamroller, next generation of amd cpus, will most likely use the same socket as vishera.